Chapter 26

Ellie remained silent throughout the funeral proceedings. The truth was that she had completely shut down, she didn't react to anything. Her eyes looked void of any emotions.

She didn't even seem to notice the few people who hugged her as they walked past, giving their condolences.

The only thing she did notice was a doctor and a few nurses who were on standby because of Sizwe. He had many attacks as he saw the caskets and his grandmother, as he saw that she didn't look like herself, neither did Davis.

As soon as he saw them, he wanted to topple everything over and hurt himself. He had really gone through one of his worst times. He had to be taken away and Ellie noticed that, but she pushed it away from her mind. She just wanted to sit and continue to lose herself in her memories.

Richard was caught in between everything; his own emotions, Sizwe, Ellie and managing everything that he possibly could.

The bottom line was that he did his best, yet a part of him felt like he could not help Ellie. He could not do anything to fill the emptiness she felt.

He watched her, her face was expressionless, she looked weak, she looked as if she had given up.

The fact that he could do nothing to help her ate him up. It pushed him to go and hug her, but another part of him knew that she did not want any more sympathy. He knew that she expected him to know that.

As it proceeded, Ellie continued sitting and getting lost in her thoughts. She slowly got up and Kiaan rushed to help her to navigate. Eventually Richard, Dahlia and Kiaan's mother gathered around. His father was gone with the doctors to check up on Sizwe.

She placed her hand on Gogo's coffin and leaned in a little.

"Hey Gogo. You must be resting peacefully now, without me or Sizwe to trouble you. And don't you worry about Sizi, he'll be fine with me around..." and she continued, "You know I love you right? I hope you do. Oh and Gogo, to me, you definitely are immortal dearie. Immortal," and she stroked her hair.

Everyone besides Ellie couldn't help but let out tears. They couldn't control themselves, the atmosphere was not an easy one to get through. She didn't cry though, she smiled faintly. She cried enough already. Now she just wanted to let go with a calmness in her mind.

She held out her hand and Kiaan noticed, so he proceeded to lead her to her dad.

She stroked his face and started to talk, "Hey Mr Davis McAllen. Dad I won't ask why you left so soon, but I'll say thank you for everything you did for me. I know it wasn't easy and I," she paused, "I miss you Dad. I know you can't come back, but you'll always be here," she laughed a little.

"That was cheesy. I'm getting good at being cheesy like you at times. It's rubbed off well. But hey, I'll hear Fear Factor and my favorite will win okay. Definitely. Also Dad," and she leaned in a little and whispered, "I love you the most."

She smiled and then went back to her seat, with a feeling of fulfillment. By talking to them, she felt like she gained the closure that she needed. Atleast enough closure to help her get through the rest of her life.

She heard someone stand in front of her and then a hand squeezed hers.

"He was an amazing man," the lady's voice said.

Ellie nodded and she continued, "There's something I'd like you to know dear."

Ellie raised her head and the lady continued.

"You came into this world and ruined my relationship with your father. Watch me ruin your entire life."

Before Ellie could react the lady had already gone.