Chapter 13

Ellie recognized the person from his hands that wrapped itself around her.

"Sizi!!" she happily called out.

He plastered a smile across his face when Ellie called out his name. He walked in front of her, crouched and held her hand.

"I missed you," he said with a glimmer of sparkle in his eyes.

"I missed you too," Ellie replied, and squeezed his hands in hers.

He felt a sudden smack on his head and turned to flash a face of dismay at Gogo. "Seriously Gogo? That's the greeting I get after coming after a week? Wow thanks," he got up and shook his head.

She laughed and gave him an assuring hug, "How was the trip?" she asked before quickly adding, "And that was a joke, sorry for hitting you."

She looked at Ellie, both of them knew that she had to tell him it was a joke quickly. For his mood would suddenly fluctuate at any point in time, and he would suddenly go into a manic or depression episode.

His name, Sizwe Makhathini, grandson of Gogo. He was quite a handsome young man, with medium sized lips, the right amount of facial hair, and black eyes. He had a light brown complexion and dark brown hair, which was short. He was of medium height and possessed a very cute smile.

He'd met Ellie at her school, Adanneth School for The Special Needs when he was diagnosed at eight years old.

He had Bipolar Disorder. He had constant mood swings and problems since a young age, and when he was diagnosed, his parents left him to be taken care of by Gogo. She was his only family, and who he could rely on.

His condition became even worse when his parents left him and went to continue their lives. After trying to commit suicide multiple times and constantly going into depression episodes, Gogo took him under her wing and made sure he didn't do anything that compromised his life. She held his hand when no one else wanted to.
He owed a lot to her.

She was his candle, his rainbow after the rain, and just his literal everything.

When he met Ellie, they instantly became friends and later became the closest ever as they shared so many similarities. He also seemed to be a little more calm around Ellie, and she would usually know how to help out when he would suddenly go into any episodes.

Truth was, Ellie and Sizwe were only each other's friends at school, they never liked or thought of engaging with other learners. Sizwe and Ellie were just enough to understand each other.

Ellie admired Gogo a lot, for Gogo really went through great ordeals to cope with Sizwe. She was also indebtful to Gogo for always being there for her, and for being there for Sizwe.

This time he had gone for a trip for one week with his depression and bipolar local group to tour another nearby city.

Sizwe smiled, "Nah don't apologize Gogo, it's okay. The trip was nice, and quite calming too."

Ellie and Gogo were content that he was happy. Gogo was sure he didn't let his mood get the better of him because his natural calmer Ellie was around.

Sizwe noticed Richard sitting there, with clear confusion written all over his face. Sizwe wasn't comfortable with new people, so he did feel a little discomfort.

Gogo noticed it and made it her duty to introduce them.

"Sizwe, this is Richard, Ellie's good friend. Richard, this is Sizwe, Ellie's other good friend. I'm sure you guys will make amazing friends," she said while extending Sizwe's hand for him to shake Richard's.

They shook hands and Richard was a bit confused as to why Ellie didn't mention him before.

They greeted and then sat down to engage in a conversation.

Sizwe (or Sizi, as Ellie's nickname for him suggested) started to get a little more comfortable as he shared some interests of with Richard. Both of them liked the beach, and bicycles. Despite the similarities, both of them tried to conceal the jealousy they felt, even if they didn't even know the reason of the jealousy.

Eventually, after loads of chatting, Ellie and Richard decided to leave. Bidding their goodbyes to Gogo and Sizi, they proceeded to exit. Sizi wanted to go over to Ellie's house but it was already time to pack up and go home with Gogo.

On their way to their respective houses, Ellie narrated Sizi's and Gogo's stories to Richard and he felt a wave of heartbreak as well as his heart warming.

"So Gogo is actually not a flea market bookseller? Wow that's so commendable!" he said.

"Exactly. She was a lawyer, well renowned in Adanneth, but she retired last year. She's 55, and the retirement payout was and will be enough for Sizi's education. She always sold her books here though, over the weekends, that's how I met her, she told you that," Ellie replied.

Richard was amazed by how strong and determined Gogo was.

After a few minutes, she smiled and turned to say goodbye before entering her yard.

"Bye! Thanks for coming. I do appreciate it."she said.

"Bye Poppy. The pleasure is all mine. Thanks for inviting me," he smiled.

She smiled too and proceeded to enter and latch the gate too.

Richard suddenly took hold of her hand and she felt a sudden surprise at that action.

"Anything wrong?" she asked.

"Uhm, my bicycle," and he looked at it in her yard.

"Oh yes," and she chuckled, and gave it to him, "Sorry about that. It slipped my mind."

"Happens to the best of us," and he laughed too, and cycled back home after that full day.