Chapter 25

"I don't regret a word Mr Russell," Ellie said in an assertive tone.

Richard felt terrible after what she had told his mother. She seemed to be quite content after doing what she did.

He looked at her with pleading eyes and cupped her face, "Poppy I know this is traumatic for you and at this point you're going to feel resentment.. But don't say anything in a haste, it affects those around you."

She pushed his hands away and coincidentally looked straight at him.

"If you're here to give me a lecture then I would suggest you leave."

Tears started to fall down his eyes and he hugged her tightly. She just stood there and let him cry on her shoulder.

"Poppy," he tried to talk through his pain, "Please don't be like this. I.." and he paused and cried even more.

"I love you Poppy."

She felt a tinge in her heart and her hands rose to hug him too.

Ellie felt the tears run down her cheeks as well. They stood there and just felt each other's embrace. Both fighting their own internal battle.

The sound of furniture crashing on the floor broke their moment.

Richard quickly took her hand ran to the room where the sound was coming from.

Ellie remembered.

"Sizi," she said and her breathing increased.

Richard told Ellie to stand at the door and he went inside.

Sizwe was breaking all the furniture and throwing everything on the floor. He didn't care that he was stepping on the glass pieces and causing several cuts on his feet.
He didn't care that he was throwing everything so aggressively that it was hurting him.

Richard got hold of his hands before he could continue.

"STOP!! Stop it! " he screamed.

Sizwe got out of his clutches and pushed him away.

"Tell me what I have left now. What do I have? HUH? TELL ME! They're not coming back are they?"

Richard looked at him, he was breathing heavily and his fury was painfully visible.

"Listen man, don't do this. This isn't going to help anything," Richard said in a warm tone.

Ellie heard them and said, "Sizi, there's nothing we can do. Just... Don't make it worse for yourself."

"Let me tend to your injuries dude. Come on," Richard urged him.

He looked at them.

"The problem is that there's nothing we can do," he said and then continued, "Gogo said she was immortal," he half-smiled and shook his head.

He walked with them to sort his injuries out, and there was a subdued silence that no one knew how to break.

Ellie laughed a little, "Sizi you remember when you fell and Gogo helped you by acting like Wonder Woman."

He laughed too, "And uncle Davis acted like Batman to stop you from crying for me."

"Mr Russell that was from our childhood. You see, what happened was that.." and she narrated the story to him.

Her enthusiasm in telling Richard made him so happy. Richard was relieved that they were atleast smiling now.

Memories have an amazing ability to break people, but to also join them back together as quickly.

They eventually fell off to sleep as they continued narrating stories.

They needed that rest.
It had been a long night.