Chapter 16

It was her 18th birthday.

He wanted to make it more special than ever. He had made a promise to himself that he would make her feel more loved and cherished than any other person in the world.

It was a small party held at her house. An elegant 'You're 18' banner adorned the living room. Ellie only invited close friends, she was never the type to have an extravagant party.

A simple red velvet cake with white icing glistened on the granite kitchen counter. Chocolates and sweets surrounded it, enhancing it's look.

Richard came early. Ignoring the fact that he called at 12am to wish her, he even came to her house to set everything up early.

She was in her room putting on the clothes her dad selected. She always trusted his choice.

Richard put everything in place, he checked for the thousandth time and released a sigh of relief.

"Good?" he asked Kiaan, who was clicking pictures.

"Yes. Relax," Kiaan answered as he checked the pictures on the camera.

"You know it needs to be.." and he got interrupted.

"Perfect! Yes I know!" Kiaan replied with a huge sigh.

Richard chuckled and sat down whilst he waited for Ellie.

Davis, her Dad, sat with him and Sizwe as they all waited. Sizwe was so excited for Ellie and the happiness was radiated by his wide smile. Gogo sat on the couch, with a sparkle in her eyes to indicate excitement.

Davis never really got to know Richard well. Often when he came by, Ellie and him went out or for a walk. He didn't ever stay in the house with her, they liked exploring the outdoors. It wasn't that necessary to talk to him anyway. Richard didn't want to get embarrassed in front of him if he said anything stupid, so he avoided talking to him unless it was absolutely necessary.

As Kiaan showed him the pictures, Ellie walked down the passage.

She wore a black, long sleeved dress. Her hair was up in a high ponytail and she wore black and white sneakers. Ellie didn't wear make-up, she never liked the idea.

It was the first time Richard saw her in a dress, she wasn't one to pick out a dress in a hurry. He was mesmerized.

Davis looked at her and embraced her in a tight hug. "My girl is all grown up now! You look beautiful Ell!!" and he kissed her on her forehead.

She smiled and hugged him too. That was the thing with Ellie, she wasn't afraid to show her love to her Dad while friends were around. She didn't push him away when he kissed her, no, because she loved him like that.

Sizwe rushed to her and hugged her too. He was so proud to be with her at that point. He tried his best to keep his disorder from ruining her day. Sometimes when he got overly excited, he could go into a manic episode, and he didn't want that to happen.

Kiaan shook her hand and wished her happy birthday, as well as complimented her.

Gogo pulled her cheeks and laughed, "I love you dear."

Everyone looked at Richard for him to come to her and they went silent at his sight.

His eyes filled up with tears and they were slowly rolling down his face.

He couldn't contain his emotions and it was visible.

Ellie was confused as to what caused the sudden silence and she asked, "What's wrong? Mr Russell?"

Davis guided her towards Richard, who was still overcome by emotions, and he placed her hand on his face.

She felt, "Tears. Why are you crying Mr Russell?"