Chapter 1

Richard Russell, a well built, tall man who adorned a ruffled black head of hair, walked down a marble floored corridor.

His lips curved slightly upward, just like every other time he saw those words that were written on a placard and hung up on the wall,

"Mr Russell"

His heart twinkled and even though he was torn with reminisce, he managed to deal with it. A lot of time had passed. He learned to cope with his bleeding heart.

He tugged onto the hem of his coat to set it properly and headed outside, unlocked his car and was about to enter.

"Dear," a disembodied voice called out. He held onto the car door and looked over it to see a woman. He nodded in response.

"Oh honey," she said while walking to him.

He didn't seem to change his facial expression or be anywhere moved by this lady's words or actions.

She cupped his face and said, "You forgot again dear," and put her hand into her apron. She took out his black lunch box and smiled. "Don't forget to eat it. I have to keep reminding you to take this every single day."

He took it from her and placed it on the passenger seat.

"It's not like I won't get anything else to eat Mum. You don't have to worry about me so much," and he half-smiled.

"It won't hurt to smile baby," she patted his cheek.

"Well mum it's easier not to even try," and he kissed her on her forehead. "I'd better get going now," he whispered.

She smiled wholeheartedly as he took the wheel and sped off.

Dahlia Russell stood on the driveway and stared into space. She had proactively made attempts to bring her old Richard back. Every day she tried to change his mood from being grief-stricken to happy.

Her attempts always went in vain, she knew he was too deeply scarred to even remember what happiness was. Nevertheless, she tried.

Her joy came from him. When he displayed even the faintest smile, she would be ecstatic. Little did she know that the feeling was mutual for him.

He didn't show any emotions but he knew he would be distraught without Dahlia. As much as he dreaded her continuously urging him to be happy for no reason, deep down he embraced this warmth she gave him. He would be satisfied if she was. That was the beauty and contrast of their relationship.

She meant as much to him as he did to her. Even though they didn't voice this, both knew the love they shared was eternal.

He owed a lot to his mum, she was there at all of times. Everyday he tried to make it up to her, even in the slightest way possible. They found a sense of tranquility in each other's presence.

She knew when she needed to hold his hand and say, "It's alright," and also when to leave his hand and assure herself that he'll be fine.

Dahlia had been put through an abundance of obstacles in her life. However she remained strong and never allowed herself to succumb to any challenges.

She clenched her hands together and remembered that day:

She was sitting at the dining table and little 4 year old Richard was having his porridge. She made those "incoming airplane" noises while putting the spoon in his mouth to urge him to eat it. He was having a fabulous time and his smile radiated that happiness. Dahlia was delighted. As she was feeding him the telephone rang. She went to pick it up thinking it was Ace, her husband. She placed it at her ear while walking toward the table again. As she sat down, she confirmed to the lady on the line that she is Dahlia Russell. Right after the lady paused and said, "I'm sorry to inform you that the plane your husband was traveling in has crashed."

Even at the present moment, the lady's words echoed in her mind. The pierce in her heart could still be felt.

She still remembered the name of the airplane:  Caelum-710

She took a deep breath in and remembered the reason as to why she's still happy.

Her love and care for Richard helped her get through all of this. Every time she wanted to give up and surrender to the circumstances, she would see her darling Richard and smile. She would put on that reassuring face and not let him know she was hurting.

Richard knew she loved Ace very much. He also knew how much she'd try to hide her tears under a mask of happiness. He'd never bring it to her knowledge though. Richard found that making her feel self assured was his biggest victory.

That's why she knew how love that was lost somewhere felt. Dahlia acknowledged the boundaries and extent to which someone could be pacified.

She breathed out and unclenched her hands. Faintly smiling, she walked back into the house.