Chapter 40

A week had passed since Mason's last encounter with Greed. He remained in bed waiting for his arm to get used to his new automail. All that's been on his mind was bringing Jeanie home and killing Greed.

"I tried to warn her," Mason thought to himself, "He's bad news and she didn't want to listen to me. I hope she's still alive," There was a knock on Mason's bedroom door. "Come in," He said calmly. Two men in black suits entered the room. "You're not the military police," Mason commented, noting everything he possibly could about the men.

"No we're not," The first man replied, "We're business men looking for a bounty hunter,"

"So why did you come to me? I'm not a bounty hunter," Mason replied.

"No but you know our target," The second man said monotonously. The second man held out a picture of Jeanie.

"What do you want with Jeanie?" Mason asked worried to know that answer.

"Our employer has heard of this girl and wants her returned to him safely. He has asked us to assure you that he has no intention of harming her," the second man answered.

"Who's your employer?" Mason questioned.

"We're not at liberty to say," The first answered with no hesitation in his voice, "He did ask us to give you this," The first man held out a small bag filled with thousands of dollars worth of jewels. "You'll receive more when you bring the girl,"

"Whoa whoa," Mason said, holding up his one good arm, "Who says I'm taking the job? I'm still in recovery with this hunk of metal strapped to my shoulder!"

"Automail is very expensive. You'll need money if you need repairs and changes made," The second man said leaving the small bag of jewels on the nightstand with a phone number underneath. "Call this number if you decide to accept the job. The boss tires quickly of the same thing. If you worried about returning her to her family, he'll most likely be bored with her after a week or two." The two men turned to exit the room.

"Wait," Mason called out. The two men stopped and turned around to face Mason. "If your trying to hire me, does that mean she's alive and well right now?" The two men exchanged glances before turning back to Mason.

"Very," the men responded.

"Give me two months to heal and I'll get to work," Mason said confidently.

"Call the number when you're ready," The first man said as he and the second man took their leave.

Greed and the two men had boarded the train to North city.
"What's going to happen once we arrive?" Greed questioned as the two men sat across from him.

"You'll meet with the head of guard and you two will discuss a plan to take over central," One of the men answered, "From there, we can return the country to its former state. You control everything while the citizens go about mindlessly enjoying their lives. We'll make a new philosopher's stone. With it, we can begin dominating more countries for your disposal,"

"You'll have the world in the palm of your hand," The other man added, playing right into Greed's natural way of thinking.

"What about a queen?" Greed asked, reminding himself about Jeanie.

"If that's what you desire, then so be it," Greed smirked thinking about Jeanie.

"In that case," Greed began, "I already have someone in mind,"

"Already in progress, sir," one of the men answered, "We took the liberty of hiring someone to bring the girl to you," Greed raised an eyebrow curious of how they already knew about Jeanie.

"Who did you hire?" Greed inquired.

"Some kid who works in a meat shop. He already knew the girl. He has experience tracking the girl," The men answered. Greed felt a pang of worry hit him, guessing at who they hired.

"She might come to me easily if he was the one who led her to me," Greed thought to himself before turning back to the men. "If she doesn't come quietly, just kidnap her. She'll understand more once she see me,"