Chapter 41

"Young lord!" Lan Fan yelled poking her head in through the train window, startling Greed and the two men, who were quick to pull out their weapons.

"Don't shoot her!" Greed commanded. The men nodded as Lan Fan climbed through the window. "How the hell did you find me?"

"I will always be able to find the young lord," Lan Fan answered solemnly.

"Well, why are you here?" Greed asked impatiently when Lan Fan didn't explain further.

"I'm supposed to guard the young lord. You're in his body. Whether I like it or not, my job is to follow you and keep the young lord's body safe," Lan Fan answered, feeling somewhat bad for Jeanie. She knew Jeanie was worried. However, her loyalty to Ling was more important than some random girl.

Two weeks had passed and there has been no sign of Greed or the men with the black ouroboros tattoo. Lan Fan hadn't returned or sent any sort of messages. Jeanie remained in the abandoned slums with Ed and Al. She sat on a window, keeping an eye out for Lan Fan. She had done so ever since Lan Fan left.

"Do you think Lan Fan is still searching for Greed?" Al asked, trying to keep quiet from Jeanie.

"She most likely stayed with him," Ed replied in a low tone. He glanced over at Jeanie. "She hasn't moved from that spot since Lan Fan left,"

"Do you think we should tell her?" Al questioned.

"If we do, we can probably take her back to Izumi. No one has been after us for the past two weeks. I think it's safe to say Greed was their target," Ed replied. Al stood up, volunteering to tell Jeanie that Greed had basically abandoned her.

"Jeanie," Al called out.

"I'm not going home yet," Jeanie answered, already knowing what Al was planning on telling her.

"Quit being stubborn!" Ed yelled, "You realize Teacher is worried sick about you, right? How long are you planning on making her worry?!" Jeanie sighed tiredly. She stood up from the window ledge and walked towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Al asked.

"Follow me," Jeanie said in a dangerously low tone. Saying nothing, Ed and Al follow Jeanie to a phone booth. "Give me some money. I have to make a call," Jeanie said to Ed, causing him to grumble angrily.

The phone began to ring at the Curtis household. Izumi ran to the phone, hoping it would be her daughter.

"Hello? Jeanie?" Izumi asked worriedly.

"Mom," Jeanie said calmly. Izumi exhaled in complete relief.

"Jeanie! Are you okay? I've been worried sick! Where are you?" Izumi questioned.

"I'm okay," Jeanie answered calmly, "I'm with Edward and Alphonse. We're safe for now,"

"For now? What do you mean? What happened?" Izumi continued to question.

"There's someone I have to look for. Once I find him, I'll come home," Jeanie continued to speak in a calm tone.

"Jeanie Elaine Curtis," Izumi said, speaking in a more stern tone, "Tell me what's going on and why Mason was found missing an arm,"

"I'll explain when I come home. I love you, mom," Jeanie said. Izumi froze as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"I love you too. Please come home soon," Izumi said, trying to keep her voice from breaking. Izumi held onto the receiver as Jeanie hung up the line. Izumi felt a hand on her shoulder. Shelooked up to see Sid. "She's safe for now," Izumi said, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"She'll be home soon," Sid said, "Our daughter is a natural born fighter,"

"I hope so," Izumi replied staring at the phone.

Jeanie exited the phone booth.
"She knows I'm okay," Jeanie said to Ed and Al.

"You called her?" Al asked. Jeanie nodded.

"I told her I'll be home soon," Jeanie said. Ed and Al exchanged hopefully looks. "But," Jeanie started, "I want to find Greed first,"

"Are you out of your mind?!" Ed yelled, "Just one was enough to overpower you! There's probably more guys just like the one that got you while on the train!"

"Ed's right!" Al started, "You can't go by yourself!"

"I know. That's why you're going with me," Jeanie said in the same calm tone.

"The hell we are!" Ed yelled.

"Oh really?" Jeanie began, "Mom knows I'm with you. What are you going to tell her when she finds out you let me go by myself? We all know my mom can be a very scary woman," Ed and Al paled at Jeanie's smug smirk. Ed and Al exchanged looks before turning back to Jeanie.

"Fine. We'll help," Ed grumbled.