Chapter 42

Seven years ago

Shortly after Jeanie was adopted, Sig and Izumi took her to a town known as Risembol. Rain was pouring and a flood threatened the crop the farmers were growing as well as the homes of the others. "Stay with your papa. I'll be right back," Izumi said. Jeanie watched in admiration as her mother strode down towards the failing dam. Water pushed over the edge of the dam. The men working on it ran from the waters. Jeanie watched Izumi clap her hands together and placed them on the ground. Fifteen foot walls rose from the ground, blocking the cascade of waters. Jeanie had a mile wide grin on her face.

"I want to be just like my mom!" Jeanie told herself. She wanted to learn how her mom was able to do that and she wanted to do it too. Jeanie saw two boys push themselves through the crowd and raced towards her mom.

"Hey old lady!" One of them said.

"Please be our teacher!" The other said. Izumi clapped her hands together and created a fist, sending the boys flying about six or seven feet away. However, they only came running back to beg some more.

"Mom! Mom!" Jeanie yelled as she ran towards Izumi. During her run, Jeanie tripped and rolled through the mud, stopping at Izumi's feet. Jeanie sprung up, next to the two boys.

"Please teach us!" Jeanie and the two blonde boys said in unison.

"Not happening!" Izumi said, picking up Jeanie and handing her muddy daughter to Sid.

"Why not?" One of the boys asked.

"Because I don't take on students!" Izumi yelled in reply.

"What about me?" Jeanie peeped while Sid was trying to clean the mud off her face.

"Please teach us!" The two boys yelled while holding onto Izumi's arm.

"Please teach me!" Jeanie yelled as she jumped onto Izumi's other arm.

"You brats!" Izumi yelled while waving both her arms around trying to get all the kids off of her arms. "Give me one good reason why I should be your teacher? Where are your parents?!"

"Uh ma'am," one of the townsfolk chimed, "These boys don't have any parents," Izumi stopped waving her arms around. She looked down at the boys, then to her daughter, who still had mud on her face and had proceeded to cover her jacket with mud.

"How am I supposed to say no to that?" Izumi sighed, giving into the two blonde boys and Jeanie. "What are your names?" Izumi asked as Sid tried once more to clean his daughter's face.

"You're taking a bath when you get home," Sid said to Jeanie making her pout.

"Hey!" Jeanie yelled to the boys, "What are your names?"

"I'm Edward and this is my little brother Alphonse," Ed answered, "What's yours?"

"Jeanie!" Jeanie said happily.

Izumi and Sid took the boys home with them. Jeanie was getting ready for bed in her room while Ed and Al slept in the living room. As Jeanie climbed into bed, Izumi entered her room.

"Hi, mom," Jeanie beamed.

"I need to talk to you. Are you sure you want to learn alchemy?" Izumi asked.

"What's alchemy?" Jeanie asked, causing Izumi to feel more uncertain about teaching her daughter.

"You saw what I did today? How I made the walls?" Izumi asked.

"Yeah! That was the coolest thing I ever saw!" Jeanie shouted in excitement.

"That's alchemy. If you really want to learn, I'll teach you," Izumi said. Jeanie's eyes lit up with excitement. "But it's not going to be easy and I'm not going to coddle you," Izumi said sternly.

"I really want to learn!" Jeanie said, almost pleading.

"Alright," Izumi said. She leaned over and kissed Jeanie's forehead, "Get some rest. You won't get much of it when training starts," Jeanie pulled the covers over her. Her smile was indestructible. She imagined about all the fun she'd have learning and training. Jeanie was hardly able to fall asleep.