Chapter 31

She looked up at Mason, ready to fight him when her eyes widened in horror. Mason stood, speechless, holding his forearm and staring at his dismembered hand that laid on the street. Before Jeanie could even process her fear, Greed picked Jeanie up and began running to the train station. She could hear Mason's agonizing screams echo throughout the streets, and ringing in her ears.

"Y-you cut off his hand," Jeanie muttered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Mason showed up, Ling felt Greed's anger blowing up.

"You said you wouldn't hurt him!" Ling reminded Greed.

"I know what I said!" Greed growled, "I'm not going to hurt him..." As much as Greed tried staying true to his words, the minute he saw Jeanie in pain, he couldn't control himself. It was as if an alarm started blaring in his head. His hand transformed into the ultimate shield. Greed, as if he was the speed of light, charged towards Mason, finely slicing off his right hand. Ling's eyes widened seeing Greed take Mason's hand.

"What did you do?" Ling growled, "What about what you just said, huh? Jeanie's traumatized, her friend's hand is gone and if he doesn't stop screaming, he'll die of blood loss!"

"Would you shut up!" Greed yelled at Ling as he grabbed Jeanie and took off running through the streets of Dublithe. Greed could hear Mason's screams but they were nothing compared to the ones he could hear in his philosopher's stone. Almost identical but nowhere near as severe.

"Y-you cut off his hand..." Jeanie muttered fearfully as Greed held her in his arms. Greed's breath hitched hearing Jeanie's traumatized, and scared tone. However, he didn't say or do anything to comfort her. He continued running to the train station. After a short while of Jeanie's fearful muttering, the pair had finally arrived at the train station. Greed quickly jumped onto a random train that was heading north. He sat down in a booth with Jeanie balled up in his lap. He was almost scared to ask if Jeanie was okay. She finally shook her head to snap out of it.

"I'm okay," Jeanie muttered as she sat up from Greed's lap and sat beside him trying to shake the image of Mason's shocked and tortured face from her mind. "Where are we going anyway?" Jeanie asked trying to get her mind off of Mason.

"We're heading towards Central. I know a house in the middle of nowhere. We can stay there until we have a plan," Greed answered wrapping his arm around Jeanie, bringing her closer to him. "You ought to rest now," Greed advised, "It's a long way once we get off the train. We'll be on foot."

"I can get us a ride," Jeanie said casually. Greed cocked an eyebrow before looking down at Jeanie.

"How do you plan on doing that?" Greed asked curiously.

"Dominic is an automail mechanic. I figured out how to start cars start without the keys. I'll just have to play with the wiring a bit," Jeanie said. Greed's eyes widened. He hadn't expected Jeanie to have this level of knowledge. He couldn't help but wonder what else she's knowledgeable about. 

It wasn't long until Jeanie fell asleep on Greed's shoulder. He only noticed when she began lightly snoring. Greed draped his jacket over Jeanie and wrapped his arms around her. "I'm sorry," Greed whispered lightly, "I'm sorry things didn't go the way we planned." Greed pressed his lips gently against the top of her head, knowing that the image of her friend's terrified face is burned into her mind.

"Finally feeling the regret?" Ling scolded. Greed said nothing. He only held Jeanie tighter. Ling sighed to himself. "She'll be fine. I get the feeling she's seen worse. She knows how to bounce back."

"I don't understand it," Greed muttered, "I'm over two hundred years old and no human has ever impacted me like this."

"What do you mean?" Ling dared to ask.

"I want to protect her. I never want to see her traumatized like that again. I'm not infatuated. I'm in love with her. I want to keep her safe and happy. I've seen her when she's happy and, let me tell you, her smile is something I want her to always have." Greed said smiling, thinking about when he saw Jeanie with her new leg. He's never seen such an untainted smile. Ling hummed in response because he knew, just as much as Greed, about that feeling he gets when Jeanie smiles.