Chapter 2

"A fighting ring!?" Izumi yelled ferociously,

"You've got to be kidding me! They could've killed you! I didn't teach you alchemy so you could fight for money!"

"Mom," Jeanie said in an unusually calm tone, "I was fighting to train." Izumi's eyes softened. She felt a slight pinch of happiness that her daughter wanted to get stronger and that the fighting wasn't just for money. "The money was just a huge plus," Jeanie said with a cheeky smile on her fair face. Jeanie's smile was completely wiped away with a swift slap to the cheek that caused her fair skin to turn to a scarlet hue.

"From now on, if you want to train, you train with me. If you want to leave the house, either Sid, myself, or Mason will be going with you. No exceptions." Izumi said sternly. Mason is the boy who works for Sid and Izumi in their meat shop next door to their house.

"What?!" Jeanie yelled, "Mom, you can't be serious." Izumi sat on Jeanie's bed next to her daughter and grasped Jeanie's hand. 

"I am. Don't you understand, if you get arrest again, they will throw you into jail? I love you and I don't want to see you imprisoned. You've been caught fighting on the streets and in rings. Not to mention the stealing you've done," Izumi said cupping her daughter's cheeks, "Once you can be trusted again, I'll let you have the freedom you had." Izumi kissed her daughter's forehead and left her alone in her room.

Jeanie sighed and hopped out of her window and went to the meat shop where Mason was working for the time being. When Jeanie walked in, she was immediately met with Mason's ear-to-ear grin.

"Heard you got busted again," Mason said. Jeanie only nodded as she reminded herself of Izumi's lecture. "What did you do this time?" Mason asked as he began cutting pieces of meat, "Stealing?"

"No. Alchemic fighting ring," Jeanie answered, "My mom wants someone with me any time I leave the house so...." Mason instantly knew what she was getting at. 

"Damn it, Jeanie!" Mason yelled knowing she wanted him to be the one to babysit her.

"Oh come on! I wanted to go to Rush Valley to give this to Paninya," Jeanie said holding out a fat package in her hands.

"What is that?" Mason asked curiously.

"Half of my winnings from the fighting rings. Paninya said money's been tight so I've been giving her half of my winnings so Dominic could get by." Jeanie explained.

"Does Izumi know?" Mason asked. Jeanie shook her head in response.

"I doubt she'd believe me if I told her," Jeanie said softly. Mason sighed.

"Fine. I'll go with you to Rush Valley. Let me close up shop real quick." Mason said as he took off his gloves and apron.

♤♡◇♧~~~~~

"Greed, why the hell are we at a train station?" Ling asked annoyingly.

"I don't know about you but I don't want to stay in central forever. What I don't understand is why SHE has to come with us!" Greed yelled as he pointed at Lan Fan.

"My job is to protect the young lord," Lan Fan said plainly.

"Listen, honey," Greed said as he approached Lan Fan, "I can protect Ling and myself just fine. Why don't you live your own life?"

"I was born for the express purpose of protecting the young lord." Lan fan repeated in the same tone. However, her eyes showed just how stubborn she could be.

"Don't even think about trying to ditch her, Greed," Ling interrupted, "She'll follow me to the ends of earth with just a snap of my fingers." Greed sighed in irritation as he dragged his hand down his face.

"Fine," Greed said aloud, "You can come."

"Like you had any say in the matter," Lan Fan mumbled. Greedling and Lan Fan snuck onto the train without being noticed. They found an empty passenger cart and sat there. Without much of a wait, the train began heading south towards Rush Valley. Greed's glowing, red eyes were focused on the scenery outside the window of the train. Lan Fan sat uncomfortably in front of him. Greed could feel her staring at him.

"Just ask already." Greed said without taking his eyes away from the window.