Chapter 26

"Why don't you tell me about him," Izumi said as she scooted closer to Jeanie who was eyeing Izumi with uncertainty.

"Alright," Jeanie said as she relaxed a bit, "His name is Ling Yao, and he's from Xing. He said that he's the twelfth son of the Emporer of Xing. I didn't believe him at first. What kind of prince comes to Amestris with no money?" Izumi nodded, believing Jeanie.

"Did you meet anyone else?" Izumi asked, hinting at Greed The Avaricious. Jeanie sat before remembering someone else she met.

"I also met his guard, Lan Fan." Jeanie said, taking another sip of her coffee, "She's loyal to Ling. I thought it was weird at first, but the more I saw her, the more I thought I admired her loyalty." Jeanie drank the rest of her coffee and stood up. She walked over to the sink and rinsed out her cup. "I'm going to help Mason in the meat shop," Jeanie announced, attempting to get out of the conversation as quickly as possible.

"Jeanie," Izumi said, sternly causing Jeanie to freeze in her tracks, "I know you met someone else. I don't want you to keep seeing Greed."

"Mom-"

"Don't argue with me, Jeanine Curtis," Izumi commanded, "He's dangerous and unpredictable,"

"Mom, he-"

"No. Jeanie, he isn't even human. He's a homunculus. His kind was nearly responsible for the entire downfall of this country!"

"How did you even find out about him?!" Jeanie spat out, "Mason told you, didn't he? God, I can't do anything when he's tailing me!"

"This isn't about Mason," Izumi said.

"God, I can't even trust him!" Jeanie said as she walked towards the door.

"Jeanie! Get back here!" Izumi yelled to get Jeanie to stop. However, the door slammed shut before Izumi finished. She sat at the coffee table and sighed.

"How did it go?" Sid asked, coming out of the hallway. Izumi dropped down in her seat.

"I think I only made it worse," Izumi groaned as she gulped coffee, "She thinks Mason told me about Greed." Sid's eyes widened for a second before returning to his normal stoic look.

"What did you tell her?" Sid asked.

"I told her that it wasn't about Mason," Izumi said, taking another sip to finish her coffee. Sid nodded as he sat next Izumi.

"She'll be fine. When she's older, she'll realize you're only trying to protect her." Sid said, trying to comfort Izumi.

"Or she'll resent me," Izumi said disgruntled. Sid shook his head and kissed Izumi on her temple.

Meanwhile, Jeanie stormed off into town. She was initially planning on going to find one of the fighting rings in Dublith until she heard her mind speak to her.

"He's near. In the alley just ahead," Jeanie's mind said. Jeanie looked up, realizing that Greed followed her to Dublithe. She was still angry with her mom and Mason.

"Hopefully, his offer still stands," Jeanie thought to herself as she walked towards the alley. She didn't see anyone at first. She walked a bit further and found that the aisle leads behind all the small businesses. Still, there was no sign of Greed.

"Keep walking," Her mind spoke.

"Greed?" Jeanie called out, "Are you back here?" The alley is filled with a deafening silence. Jeanie cautiously continued walking. The transmutation circles on her hands lit up. Her eyes darted to the ground to see a hand limp on the alley floor. Jeanie inched towards the side to see Greedling on the ground, unconscious. "Oh, no! Hey! Greed! Ling! Are you alright?" Jeanie panicked.

"So hungry..." Ling murmured. Jeanie threw his arm over her shoulder.

"Come on. Let's get you some food," Jeanie said as she dragged Ling out of the alley. Jeanie took ling to a nearby restaurant, where Ling proceeded to order everything on the menu and devour it all. "You weren't kidding when you said you were hungry, were you?" Jeanie joked. Ling rubbed the back of his neck anxiously.

"Hehe," He laughed nervously, "You're not gonna eat?"

"Can't say I have much of an appetite today," Jeanie said, remembering the fight she had with Izumi. Her smile dropped the more she thought about the argument.

"Are you alright?" Ling asked curiously. Jeanie looked up at Ling and nodded.

"I want to take Greed up on his offer to run away," Jeanie announced.