Chapter 4 - Well What Did You Expect?

The trip to the castle felt longer than ever before as Asher was forced to put up with the entitled woman's complaints.

Once she was done asking questions about the Prince, she fretted about the cold and forced them to stop so she could put on a few extra coats. Then she insisted on finding a place to eat and threw a tantrum when Asher informed her that there were no inns, restaurants, or bakeries on the way to the castle.

After a few hours of grumbling, she settled on eating her rations in the 'nasty snow' which consisted of an apple, some crackers and a bit of jam. The castle wasn't all that far away so they didn't need to pack much, but of course the insufferable Becky had to whine about the snacks as well.

Being the daughter of a blacksmith wasn't that special. Sure they were the wealthiest in the village, but that didn't mean she was eating steak every night. It was as though she thought acting like a pampered princess would earn her extra points for something. 

Regardless of her reasoning, around halfway through their journey Asher was very tempted to leave her behind. He knew he probably would have too, if it weren't for the reward and the lack of other job opportunities.

Finally the turrets came into view and Becky changed her tone, sitting up straighter and pouting like some constipated noble.

"Ew, what are those?" She grimaced at the gargoyle statues that guarded the gates with twisted sneers on their faces. Each one was hunched over on a post, looking out towards any newcomers who may approach with their small bat-like wings extended. "They look hideous!"

Asher rolled his eyes and urged his horse closer. The woman hesitated, but followed, then let out a short yelp as the castle gates swung open of their own accord.

"What was that? How did those open by themselves?"

"Magic." Asher explained in a bored tone as he proceeded towards the front courtyard.

Becky made sure to keep close now that she got a good look at the looming castle.

It was indeed intimidating. The stonework was almost blackened, with all the windows still dark and the roof covered in menacing gargoyles, poised to attack with twisted faces. Even the bushes that surrounded the courtyard seemed dangerous as their dead branches stuck out from the layers of snow with thorn riddled vines entwined around them.

There was one statue in the center of the courtyard that looked like a dancing demon. It had a pair of large bat wings and curly rams horns, and like the gargoyles above, its face was twisted in a menacing grin.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Becky asked nervously. "I haven't seen a single soul since we arrived. Where are all the servants?"

Asher climbed down from his horse and answered quite literally. "They're in the castle."

Too scared to enter on her own, but also unwilling to be left alone, the woman made sure to stay by Asher's side as they approached the front entrance.

As soon as they were within ten feet, the enormous double doors swung open with no assistance. Asher felt Becky grip his arm as she cowered by his side. He tapped her hand comfortingly, then escorted her in.

Upon crossing the threshold the double doors slammed shut, startling the both of them. Then the candles in the wall sconces burst to life, lighting up the front hall and exposing tall pillars of stone holding up a second story balcony with a grand staircase spiraling upwards.

"Prince Leon? I've brought a woman as requested. " Asher announced, wondering if the castle would assist in notifying the creature of their arrival.