Chapter 44 - Departing

Asher felt very conscious when he returned home. Half the village had come out to see who had arrived in the luxury carriage that pulled up, probably expecting royalty, but were surprised that their local outcast's head popped out instead.

Asher was dressed in the finest clothes, wearing a noble white coat and black pants with Leon's family crest adorning his breast pocket. He had a blood red sash tied around his waist and had Felicity and two guards accompanying him.

Since Asher had trouble getting out of bed that morning, he was almost ordered to stay at the castle. Yet with a slight waddle he managed to convince everyone he could walk just fine, but he was pretty sure the servants didn't believe his 'strained muscle' story...

The Prince thankfully offered a carriage, which Asher accepted immediately. 

He bit his lip nervously, spotting many familiar faces, including Cas's, among the crowd. The brute looked absolutely embarrassed about something and when their eyes locked, he looked away and scurried off with a few people snickering at him. Asher was confused by this until he noticed that one of the snickering people was none other than Becky.

"Would you like me to accompany you?" Felicity asked, her head bowed humbly.

Asher wasn't used to the formal way she spoke to him. Back at the castle she was very familiar with him, but now that they were in public, she acted like a proper servant.

"Sure. Just stay close." 

Stepping through the crowd, he paused in front of Becky and she eyed the two knights behind him. "You've certainly come a long way in a short amount of time."

"Thanks?"

"Don't mention-" The woman was cut off by a high pitched squeal as Theo dove through the crowds, heading straight for the servant. She stopped beside Becky to catch her breath.

"Look at you!" She beamed. "If I had known your friend was the Prince, I would have been much more courteous when I visited!"

Asher blinked. "Um...Well at the time it was a secret. I hope you're not upset that I didn't tell you everything?"

"Not at all!" She chirped, and a few men in the slowly dispersing crowd started murmuring among themselves. Asher caught a few things like 'She wasn't crazy after all?' and 'So he really was working for the Prince?'

Theo spotted Felicity standing just behind Asher and scowled. "Who's that?"

"This is my friend, Felicity." He refused to introduce her as a mere servant since they were technically the same station. "She's here to keep me company. The knights are protection. This is Sir Eduard and Sir Felix."

"Hello." She greeted the men, but remained wary of Felicity who nodded politely.

"By the way," he turned to Becky. "What was Cas's problem?"

"Oh don't mind him. He's just embarrassed. Everyone knows he's the one who started those rumors about you, so when those other knights showed up earlier with the royal seal, people started doubting him. It got worse when we heard you were the one who sent the letter that helped stop a whole invasion. Now people don't trust him at all, and there's even some rumors going round about him! Most claiming that he was telling those nasty stories because he was jealous of you. He tried denying it, but then you pop out of a royal carriage and now no one is going to believe otherwise."

Asher grinned, knowing things between him and Cas could have gone differently if he hadn't intentionally egged the man on by selecting Becky as his first target.