Chapter 25 - Bad News

Asher's head snapped left and right as he quickly searched the halls, interrupting Leon's kiss.

"What is it?"

This time the servant turned around, alarm written all over his face. "Can't you tell? Ebony is coming back!"

The beast blinked, then stared to the side as though sensing something before raising his hackles, equally alarmed.

This confused the servant since last time Leon seemed to know instantly when that woman was returning. Furthermore, the voices in the walls hadn't bothered to notify him that she was coming before. Why were they suddenly giving him a heads up now? It's not like the beast could hear them.

Were they trying to warn Asher?

As nice as it was to think that the other servants were warming up to him, now was not the time to celebrate as Leon released the doors, allowing them to swing open on their own, then shoved the servant inside.

Asher stumbled a few steps before turning to find the beast pointing a claw at him. "Don't come out, no matter what!" He ordered.

"But-" Before he could argue, the doors shut tight. A few tugs on them proved fruitless as they remained locked.

He was about to bang on the door when he heard Ebony's voice echo from the hall beyond.

"Well, well well. Look what we have here. Aren't you awfully spruced up today?" 

In the back of his mind, Asher realized he hadn't paid much attention to what the beast was wearing. The guy had snuck up from behind before they were immediately interrupted, so it's not like he had a moment to admire whatever effort he may have put into dressing today.

Asher kneeled down to try and peek through the keyhole. Leon blocked most of his view, so the servant had no choice but to listen in and hope she left quickly.

He heard the beast give a short snarl, but nothing more as the clatter of her heels circled around him. "What? Didn't you miss me? It's been so long and you were behaving so well last time."

That remark had the servant holding back an angry snort as a flurry of imaginary scenarios ran through is head. He knew this woman was referring to the last encounter when Leon saw her by himself and didn't bother to notify Asher when she had left. He'd made it clear that he didn't want to discuss what their meeting had been about, but the servant was worried it may have been more than a talk.

"Just say your peace and leave." The beast spat, his usual edge returning to his voice.

"I will, but it's a bit important so let's have morning tea while we talk. How about the reading room since we're already here?"

Immediately he backed up and started searching for a place to hide. If they walked in right now, he'd be a sitting duck for that woman to do with as she pleased. And worse, if she found out about the things he'd been doing with Leon, he worried she may do more than make him join the other servants.

A click to the far left caught his ear, and he turned to see a panel of the wall swing open a few inches.

'Hide!' whispered the voices, and Asher scurried over and crouched in the small compartment, allowing the door to close behind him, leaving the servant in darkness as the two entered the reading room.

Asher was now torn between listening in on what they were saying and exploring this newly discovered secret passage. If there was one, then there were bound to be more!

Wait, no! Focus!

He forced himself to sit still and pressed an ear against the panel so he could hear them better.