Chapter 42 - Who Are You People?!

Ebony gasped as the sword plunged into her back and went straight through her chest. Blood gushed from her mouth and she turned, shakily to look up at her murderer. Asher felt no sympathy for her though and relentlessly pulled the sword out, releasing her from it's hold and dropping the woman down beside Leon's body.

Her lips moved, forming silent words but unable to gather enough air to speak. Then her eyes glazed over and she went still.

A sense of disbelief slowly washed over Asher once he realized what he'd done. Never in his life had he considered himself a violent person, yet he had just been able to snuff out a life as though it were nothing.

It all happened so fast that he couldn't help feeling unsatisfied with this ending. He wished she'd had a more humiliating death, or at least suffered a little longer to make up for all the pain she'd caused. Angrily he grabbed the woman's body and yanked it away from Leon, then dropped his sword so he could kneel over the Prince himself. 

Once his frustration abated, quiet tears began to flow down his cheeks. He laid his head down on Leon's chest and tried to cope with the overwhelming sense of anguish.

A short sob escaped and he clutched Leon's shirt, wishing this was all just a bad dream.

His body felt like it was floating all of a sudden as his head trauma caught up with him. He knew he probably had a concussion, and if he fell asleep here, he'd probably never wake up again. That both scared and relieved him, and he closed his eyes just as the castle voices became boisterous. 

"It'll be alright." One of them said, more clearly than before. "We just need to summon the doctor!"

"Will that work?"

"He knows magic. Hurry!"

It was odd hearing the voices talk among themselves so clearly. Usually it was a low mutter or hushed whispers. Had he died and joined them? Was this floating sensation actually his own soul leaving his body? He wouldn't be surprised, nor minded if that were the case. Not if Leon was gone.

A hand touched his shoulder and Asher jumped, all his senses returning at once as his head shot up, expecting the witch to have somehow survived and returned for vengeance.

Instead, he found a woman standing there dressed in servant's attire. She had a cherubic face with bright brown eyes and curly blond hair done back in a loose plait braid. Asher didn't recognizer her at all, and was alarmed that she was partially transparent, though her form was solidifying more and more by the second.

Blinking, he noticed more people appearing in the halls, each one popping up like phantoms from the shadows.

"We need to get him out of the hallway." A ghostly knight declared just behind the servant girl. He was wearing a suit of armor similar to the ones that decorated the hall, and upon his chest was emblazoned the Aubert family crest. His face was hard, but his tone of voice countered that with a lilt of kindness.

Asher blinked to clear his tear stained vision. "Who...Who are you?"

He noticed that the servant girl was holding out a hand to him. "You may call me Felicity. Now please, let us help you two before the magic wears off."

"Magic?" Asher's mind was having trouble understanding the situation, and she nodded down at Leon.

Asher glanced over at the beast, realizing he'd been avoiding a thorough look ever since the fatal blow was struck. It was sickening to see the man he loved laying dead on the ground. It wasn't an image he wanted burned in his memory, but by the woman's indication he noticed that not only was the beast smaller than before, but his overall appearance had changed drastically.