Chapter 36 - Tattle Tale

Warning! Spicy Chapter!

---

Asher didn't like Elise, and now had a proper reason for it other than jealousy. He wanted to know what other dirty secrets she had, but it was hard to dig up dirt when her servant was mute and her room was constantly being guarded. He tried using the secret passage behind the wall and asked the voices to create a panel so he could sneak in, but that appeared to be beyond their power.

Leon's tea date went poorly and he had Asher communicate to the woman on his behalf that he would be staying in his room for the remainder of the day. 

The beast looked riled up all over again, but this time nothing the servant said or did calmed him down, so he did as he was ordered.

Late that night he thought he'd sneak around and see if he could over hear something useful, but it was too late and Elise was already fast asleep with one of her guards still at the door.

It took three more days before he found an opportunity.

Elise had been sending that messenger bird out constantly. It would leave in the mornings then return in the evenings, and the second time it returned with two more messenger birds behind it.

Asher found that odd since the castle was enchanted to be hidden, yet wolves and deer still managed to find their way to the outskirts of the castle grounds, so animals appeared to be exempt from the effects.

Elise decided to stop by the library that morning, taking her guards with her. Laurent was in charge of cleaning the bird cage, so he waited for the boy to carry them out to be scrubbed. Once he was in the clear, Asher slunk inside.

The room was decorated in a white theme with a crystal chandelier hanging from above. There were paintings of doves perched on branches, and gold vines etched into the wall paper.

Knowing he wouldn't have much time, he carefully checked each desk, finding nothing of interest on their marble surfaces, but deigning to dig through the drawers.

He eventually found a few letters in the stand beside her bed and pulled one out to read.

It was addressed to Elise from her father, who seemed to be requesting money due to one of their estates being repossessed. 

Why would he be begging his daughter for money? They were a noble family with connections to the King. Had they fallen on hard times?

He then found an unfinished letter addressed to a person whom Elise only referred to as "My Dear Friend". In this, she mentioned the Prince and declared he was doing well and would soon announce their engagement, making her the next queen.

That was pretty presumptuous of her considering how rocky their relationship was.

 Then he spotted a stamp buried in the corner of the drawer, hidden under a few leaves of paper. Picking it up, he recognized it as the royal seal.

The King's seal was essentially the royal family signature. Any request, order, or decree would be immediately approved with this on it so long as it didn't involve the church. Which meant that if she wanted to, Elise could put her own laws in place and everyone would think it had been approved by the Leon. And as he recalled, this same seal had been on her letter that she sent Asher back to town with.

Did Leon lend it to her since he couldn't sign his own letters? Or was she using the messenger bird to make royal decree's behind his back?

He was going to have to ask the beast about that.