Chapter 27 - One Last Shot

It was no surprise when Theo's parents shunned Asher from seeing her. They probably heard the same rumors as everyone else, and since their own daughter was one of his previous 'victims', they were even more livid when he asked to see her.

Already exhausted from his efforts, Asher decided to throw in the towel and head home so he could at least tell the beast how far the rumors have spread. They could figure something else out from there, though it was unfortunate that he wouldn't be able to help much anymore.

Maybe he could send letters on the Prince's behalf instead? He did mention that he hadn't been able to send any out, what with his claws getting in the way. Perhaps, after polishing his penmanship, Asher could be useful in that regard?

Just as he began exploring that possibility, he noticed a commotion in front of the bakery. Approaching, he found three white stallions out front with decorated winter saddles. Two guards stood near the entrance, blocking all potential customers from entering. Asher rushed forward, fearing something terrible was happening.

Spotting him, the guards drew their swords and stopped the servant in his tracks. "What is the meaning of this?" Asher demanded, ignoring the pain in his chest as he spoke.

"It's none of your concern!"

"It is if it has anything to do with my family!"

The two guards glanced at each other. Asher realized he didn't recognize the crest on their tabards. It wasn't the royal crest at least, so it must be some prestigious family that had come to town.

"Are you the man known as Asher?" One of them asked.

That put the servant on edge since no one ever sought him out unless he was in some sort of trouble.

He hesitated, but realized his grandparents would be dragged into the middle of everything if he didn't come forward, so he nodded. "I am. Why?"

Sheathing their swords, they gestured for him to enter. "Our lady has been waiting for you."

"Lady?" Asher asked, but they didn't explain and he stepped inside, curious as to who they were referring to.

His grandfather was sitting at the table in the kitchen as his grandmother offered a shaky plate of cookies to a young servant standing in the corner. He looked to be about thirteen and wore the same tabard as the guards. Sitting across from his grandfather was an elegant woman with long, golden blond hair and bright, blue eyes. She had pale skin, as though she had never worked outside a day in her life, and wore a decorative velvet dress not fit for travel.

She reminded Asher of a swan, poised perfectly as she tilted her chin and smiled dazzlingly at him. "Hello."

Her voice was soothing to his ears. It was the sort of motherly voice that reminded him of the lullabies he heard as a child.

"Asher, this is Lady Elise Lumley." His grandfather introduced her, then froze as he noticed his grandson's condition. Unfortunately, due to their guest, all he could do was flounder as he gathered his wits back, then mimicked a half bow towards Asher to remind him of his manners.

"OH! Sorry!" Asher quickly bowed, wincing in pain but holding it in as he fought to keep a proper appearance. "I didn't know we were expecting company."

"It's alright." She folded her hands daintily in her lap. "I didn't give much notice. I've heard quite a bit about you, young Asher."

"Is that so?" He replied, figuring she most likely already knew all about the church fiasco then, but wondered if she also knew about the beast? That had to be it, because otherwise there'd be no reason for anyone to seek him out just because he angered their religious leaders in a botched internship.