Twenty-one

After ranting on about Charlie being an idiot and after I ate the breakfast he made us, I left. It was Sunday and I was gonna help George at the register in his shop. That way Verity could be moved to the storage room and restock shelves while George took care of the numbers.

Fred was normally the one to do that, but since he was gone, George had to take over, though I know he hates it and it stresses him out when he also has to do stuff around the shop. That's why I always do my best to come and help him out on Sundays.

Charlie once promised me to never get a tattoo that had anything to do with me. It's a stupid idea and it's even stupider to get one after our breakup.

Though I couldn't ignore the warm and melting feeling in my heart at his explanation of it.

"You keep me grounded."

Fucking asshole for making me love him even more than I already did. It was like, every time he opened his mouth, he made me fall even deeper. It had always been like that. Eight years of falling more and more in love with him and it was fucking painful, especially now after he left me for almost six months.

"Here is your change and receipt, sir." I smiled at the man, handing him the money and his receipt. "Have a nice day."

I handed him the bag and he simply grabbed it before leaving.

You too.

How hard can it be? I wanted to roll my eyes so badly but there was other customers and I didn't want to come of as rude — especially not when this is George's shop and not mine.

"How's it going down here?" George's voice came from behind me at the very same moment as he entered the area behind the register. "Are you okay?"

I looked at George at his question and frowned to question him.

"You're smiling." He commented, nodding towards my face.

Oh shit. I was.

"I haven't seen you smile like that since—" George sighed when the realisation hit him. "How long has he been back for?"

"Huh?"

"Charlie." He spoke. "I've known you since I was a little boy. I've gotten to know your different smiles and that one there—"

He pointed at my face, causing me to force my smile to disappear, though I had to bite my lip because for some reason it was harsh

"... that's how you smile every time you're happy because of him." He said. "And don't get me wrong, I love my brother but the man left you six months ago."

"And I'm not smiling because of him." I argued. "I'm angry with him."

"Sure you are." He nodded sarcastically. "And I still have a twin."

My grimace dropped at his joke and I slowly folded my arms over my chest.

"Not funny."

"I thought it was." George laughed. "Fred would've thought so too. You're just boring."

I finally gave in to the urge, and rolled my eyes. But it was okay because this was because of George and not because of a costumer.

"So he is back?"

I nodded.

"For good this time." I told him. "Well— that's what he says anyway. He's been living on my sofa for a week. I don't know— something just happened this morning— well, something has happened every morning for the entire week. I think I might consider giving him another chance."