Sixty-six

February 7th of 2000
03:18

One of the babies crying in the middle of the night, woke up both Charlie and I.

It was strange falling asleep the two of us again, but waking up with his arm wrapped around me, my head against his chest and our legs tangled up... that felt like home.

"Fuck." I groaned while Charlie pressed a kiss to my head, playing with my hair.

"Can I?" he whispered against my forehead. I hummed and lifted my chin to press my lips to his for a short second.

"Be my guest." I mumbled, feeling sleepy. "It's his hungry cry. There's a bottle of breast milk in the freezer. You have to warm it up but it can't..."

"Ember." Charlie said softly, chuckling. "I know... we read those baby books together, remember?"

I hummed and rolled off his arm so he could get out of bed. Hearing Charlie coo at Caspian as he picked him up, made me smile.

Then Marino started crying and I couldn't help but laugh at the panicked expression on Charlie's face.

"Don't worry." I smiled at him. "Go feed Caspian and I'll get Marino to calm down."

"I don't know how you did this yourself for a month." He leaned down to kiss me. "You're a saint."

"I'm really not." I said, getting out of bed. "I had a lot of help from your parents. George also came over a lot to see them."

I picked up Marino then smiled at Charlie who smiled back before leaving the room to go downstairs into the kitchen.

I walked back and forth in the room, carrying Marino to try and get him back to sleep. I knew their cries so I knew Marino was crying because he was woken up and not because he was hungry or needed a diaper change.

It was difficult knowing that Charlie hadn't been able to bond with them because he had been away, but he was going to catch up.

I was just happy that he was back now and not in two years or something like that.

He wanted to get to know them and in a month or two, he'd be familiar with their cries too. He'd know what each expression means and he'd know to tell them apart properly.

I hadn't even gotten used to having him back yet. It hadn't even been a full day. It was his first night at the Burrow after what happened.

I sang to Marino as I walked back and forth, rocking him in my arms. My voice was soft and my eyes were focused on his little face the whole time.

His crying stopped and he continued to stare up at me until he started to close them slowly, being unable to keep them open anymore.

I brought a hand up to gently brush over his head and the hair he had. Both twins came out with a lot of red hair.

"You're so beautiful." I whispered. "You and your brother both are."

Some people say that all newborns are ugly when born and in some cases, it's true... but my babies were the most beautiful angels I've ever seen.

With Marino in my arms, I left the room and quietly closed the door behind me. I made my way down the hallway to the stairs, my eyes focused on Charlie in the kitchen as I made my way down.

He was leaning back against the counter, holding a bottle of breast milk as he was feeding Caspian who was happily eating.

Charlie was smiling down at him, watching him in the same way that I always did.

He looked up when he saw me approach, his smile growing. I walked over to stand next to him, leaning my head on his shoulder as I held Marino on my arm.