Thirty-eight

Charlie

"You need to eat." Fleur said, pushing the bowl of Cherri Owls towards me. "You haven't eaten for two whole days."

I glanced up at her before I looked back down at my hands. I had picked at my skin for the past couple of days out of pure stress from the situation and I kept making myself bleed because I can't stop picking in the same wound.

"If he doesn't want to eat, he shouldn't have to." Bill said and grabbed the bowl from the table. "He'll just starve but it's up to him."

To say my older brother was cross with me, was an understatement. My entire family were on Ember's side and I didn't blame them.

After all I didn't tell anyone the truth to why I left. They all believe in my pathetic excuse. Maybe that's why I'm acting like such an idiot — because I wish I could tell Ember the truth.

It's easier if she hates me for leaving than if she hates her granddad for the reason behind it.

"I'll take a bath." Fleur announced. "Bill, be nice to him, alright my love? He's struggling too."

She patted Bill's shoulder before she made her way upstairs, and I glanced at my brother who took a seat across from me.

"You're an asshole."

I'm aware.

"Ember has done nothing but love you since you were teenagers and she's even so kind to let you stay in her loft when you came back and even kinder for giving you a second chance, and then you just can't help yourself but to put up a fight because she wants couple counselling."

I raised my head and sighed as I looked at him.

"Charlie, it's only couple counselling." He said. "Why can't you do it for her? If you really loved her—"

"Don't you dare." I snapped. "I love her with everything I have. With every fucking fibre in my body."

"Then you should be able to put your ego aside and do it for her sake. Maybe you don't believe in counselling and that's okay, but if she thinks it'll help, then do it. Don't question it, don't question her because she's simply trying to make it work and if you don't cooperate, it'll hurt her and she'll end up thinking you don't actually care about her."

That wasn't true. Ember knows I love her more than anything. Doesn't she? I've never loved anyone the way I love her. I do want what's best for her but I want to be with her at the same time.

The six months in Romania were hell for me. I know it was hell for her too, but I didn't have a choice. I had to leave her. Otherwise he would make sure Ginny lost her place with the Holyhead Harpies Quidditch Team.

The man knows how much I care for my family and I couldn't let him do that to my sister. He's got way too much power. I could've told Ember the truth about it. I could've told everyone, but I'd rather Ember hates me than her hating her own grandfather.

A few days before I left, Ember's grandfather came to talk to me at my job in Romania. He told me I was ruining Ember because she had to take care of me. I was a pathetic shit who couldn't even get his shit together to get out of bed after Fred died and Ember's grandfather Edison threatened to get Ginny fired if I didn't get out of Ember's life.

Now I'm terrified that if he finds out I'm back, he'll ruin Ginny's career with the snap of his fingers.

The man never liked me. Said that his grandchild is too good for me, and he's probably right.

"She knows I love her." I said. "She knows I would do anything for her."

"Then why didn't you? Couple counselling isn't that bad. I've never tried it but all you gotta do is show up and not complain."