Fifty-four

Charlie

Ember was still asleep.

It was seven in the morning and I hadn't had even just ten minutes of sleep. All night, I had just been doing different things around the house, trying to find a way to tell her about her brother.

Crispus advised me to not tell her, but she's my bloody fiancé and I know she would want to know, no matter how hard it breaks her that she can't be with him.

Currently I was sitting on the bed, watching her sleep while I played with her red hair. She was lying on her side, facing me.

Normally she slept on her stomach, but because of the bump that was starting to show, it had gotten uncomfortable for her.

Her cheek was squished against the pillow and her lips were parted while she breathed heavily.

I've always done this.

Watched her sleep because it calms me and it makes me happy, seeing such a beautiful women sleep next to me, knowing she's mine.

It makes me feel like the luckiest man alive.

I had decided to get her a kitten for her birthday. She loves cats and they're easier to take care of than dogs.

The only question is — how do I get out of the house to adopt one?

Ember's not ready for me to leave the house and leave her alone and I'm not about to do something that can set her off and scare her.

"Charlie." Ember's voice made me smile. "You know I can't sleep when you stare at me like that."

She opened her eyes and looked up at me.

"I'm sorry." I said, running my fingers through the front of her hair.

"You never apologise when I catch you." She mumbled and closed her eyes again. "What's wrong?"

She moved closer to me, cuddling up to my side while she threw an arm over me.

"You probably want to sit up for this." I said which caused her eyes to open quickly and then she slowly pulled herself up to sit, running her hand through her hair.

"What time is it?"

"A little past seven." I told her, running the back of my fingers down her upper arm. "Come here."

She looked at me in confusion as I moved up to sit against the headboard, my legs spread so she could lie between them.

She hesitated but moved up, lying down between my legs so that her back was to my front.

I wrapped my arms around her body and pressed a kiss to her head.

"I received a letter from Crispus after you went to sleep." I said. "The Aurors found Edison—"

"They did?!" Her voice was full of excitement which broke my heart.

She got herself excited by just hearing those words and now I had to take that away from me.

"Babe, it's not—" I sighed. "...it's not good news."

"Oh..."

"They found him but they couldn't catch him. Your dad was there, working alongside his colleagues and then Brazier apparently showed up."

"What?"

She sat up straight, turning so she could look at my face.

"Why was he there? He shouldn't be there. Edison is dangerous and he obviously doesn't care if it's family or not... he ruins people's life and..."