Multiple Meetings

"It's you again," a voice says from behind Eliza, making her stop what she's doing. She doesn't even have to look for her to know who's speaking to her.

Eliza turns around, a smile on her face. "Why am I not surprised to see you?"

He grins at her response, hands in his pockets.

***

The first time it happened.

The past few weeks haven't been ideal for Eliza. How could your week be ideal if your boyfriend broke up with you, work's only getting more and more stressful, and your favorite show got cancelled? Eliza's been pretty upset recently due to all those things, not very willing to go out and do anything.

Sighing, Eliza grabs her grocery bag and tells the cashier to have a nice day before exiting the store. The warm, summer heat instantly hits her skin, much different from the freezing cold air conditioner from inside the grocery store. A small breeze blows her hair, and she starts walking to her car, when suddenly she hears something drop onto the ground. She turns around and sees a man groan, his grocery bag having broken and the contents of the bag on the black pavement.

"Of course," he mutters quietly, irritably looking down at the groceries on the ground. His orange hair, which is partially lit up by the beaming sun, covers his face a little, so Eliza can't really get a good look of his face, but decides she doesn't care.

Eliza walks over to him dropping her one, light bag beside her. "Here, let me help," she says, crouching down and reaching out to grab his things.

The man looks at her and smiles, crouching down with her and grabbing his stuff. "Thank you," he tells her, moving his belongings underneath one arm as he picks them up. "I don't know why I even bother with plastic bags anymore."

"I can see why," Eliza laughs. "I would've brought my own bag today, but I'm kind of in a hurry."

"Well, thank you for helping me," he says as she picks up the last item.

"Of course." She hands the can she's holding to him, finally looking at his face, and she feels her breath catch in her throat. His violet eyes are looking right into hers, and his face looks to be recently shaved. He's very handsome, that's for sure, especially with the sunlight hitting him at just the right angle.

The man takes the can from her, standing up with everything in his hands. "Have a nice day, miss," he tells her politely as she stands up, grabbing her bag.

"You too," she responds, turning on her heel so she can carry on with her day, and the memory of this handsome, mystery stranger slowly turning into a bit of a blur as the day goes on.

The second time it happened.

"Angie, really, I'm fine," Eliza tells her sister as they walk beside one another on the sidewalk. The two have decided to hangout this Friday evening downtown, wanting to catch up after life's been keeping them busy. "I don't need a boyfriend, I'm fine by myself."

Angelica sighs. "You're missing out," she says, nudging her sister in her forearm. "John treats me like a queen. I'm sure you'll find yourself another man soon. Screw your ex."

Eliza laughs, looking at the other side . "Yeah, well I think I'm done with dating for a whi—"

Her sentence falls short as her eyes fall on a particular set of violet eyes and orange hair, walking down the sidewalk. She stops walking, admiring him from afar. It's the same guy from the grocery store the other day. I wonder if he'd recognize me, Eliza wonders, mesmerized by him. Suddenly, she realizes that he's noticed her, and she sees a grin on his face. He waves at her, and she smiles, waving back at him.