Comfort

As Alexander walks back into his bedroom from his connected bathroom, he hears his phone ringing from the bedside table. He quickly walks over to his phone and sees his best friend Eliza calling him. With a smile, Alex picks up the phone.

"Hey, Liz," he says with a cheery tone.

He hears sniffling on the other end. "Alex," Eliza says, her voice trembling a little.

His smile drops. "Eliza? Are you okay?"

"No...c-can I come over?" she chokes out.

Alex nods before realizing she can't see him as he holds the phone up to his ear. "Yes, of course."

Eliza gives him a little thanks before hanging up. Alex sits down on the edge of his bed, confused, but also concerned for his best friend...and also his crush. You see, Alex has had strong feelings for Elizabeth for quite some time now, three years to be exact, but each time he's had the courage to tell her, Eliza's been in a new relationship. The two have been best friends ever since Alexander met her at a nearby coffee shop after one of his shifts at work. He's afraid he might lose their close friendship if he says anything to her about his feelings.

Sighing, Alex stands from where he's been sitting on his bed and scampers out into the kitchen of his apartment. He quickly makes up Eliza's favorite kind of waffles, cinnamon waffles, and pours water into a glass for her, knowing she sounded upset over the call and he wants her to feel better.

Minutes later, Alex hears a few knocks on his door, and he makes his way over to the door. When he opens it, he's greeted by a crying Eliza, mascara running down her face and seemingly endless tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Eliza," he says, giving her a worried look, before pulling her into the apartment and into his arms. She wraps her arms around him and begins to sob into his chest. He gently shushes her, rubbing her back as he tries his best to calm her down. "You're okay...it's okay," he coos.

Eliza pulls back slightly and looks sadly at her best friend, sniffling, her sobs now having turned into little cries.

Alex guides her over to the living room and onto the loveseat, her cinnamon waffles and glass of water sitting on the coffee table, but Eliza doesn't notice it as she's looking at her best friend.

He wipes a tear off of her cheek. "What happened?" he asks gently, looking into her eyes.

Eliza sniffs. "John ch-cheated on me," she finally explains, tears spewing down her cheeks.

Anger boils inside of Alex, his brows furrowing. "I swear to God with him..." he trails off, wanting to talk about how he'll make John pay, but he realizes Eliza needs comfort right now. "He doesn't deserve you. He never deserved you."

"I thought...I thought maybe someone l-loved me...but I guess it was just a...a lie," she cries.

Alexander's heart aches a little at that. He desperately wants to tell her that he loves her, that he's loved her for three years now. That he'll always love her and will stay by her side forever...but he knows he can't tell her that now. He couldn't possibly put that on her shoulders.

Instead of saying what's on his mind, Alex pulls her into a gentle embrace. "You are loved, Eliza. You don't need him. He made a huge mistake and I'll make sure he knows that. You deserve better than him." He kisses the top of her head, an action he's done to her for forever now as just a "friendly" gesture, but it means so much more to him. "I promise you, you'll find better."

Eliza nods a little, somewhat believing him. Alex has always been her rock. This isn't the first time she's come to him crying about something. She's grateful to have such an amazing best friend, one who has never gotten tired of her.