Dancing in the Rain

"Oh God," Eliza says as she notices little rain droplets smack onto the front windshield of the car. "I don't have a jacket or an umbrella."

Alexander grimaces. "I don't either. Let's just pray the rain slows."

Of course, that's not what happened. Not even a minute later, the rain begins to pick up into a drizzle and not soon after, a little downpour. Eliza groans and drops her head back into the headrest.

Eliza shakes her head. "Of all days..." she complains.

Alex nods in agreement. "Stupid weatherman."

Eliza laughs at his comment, scrubbing a hand over her face. "We're gonna be drenched by the time we get inside."

Alex pulls up into their driveway, parking to the side. He can't park inside because that's where Eliza's car is, and two cars would definitely not be able to fit inside. Looking behind him and into the backseat, Alex searches for something, anything that the two could use to cover themselves and not be poured on, but there's nothing.

Eliza sighs, looking at her husband. "All right, how about this. On the count of three, we sprint as fast as we can out of the car and up to the porch, kinda like a race. Are you in?"

Alex laughs. "I haven't done something like that since I was little."

"Are you in?" Eliza repeats with a thrilling grin, slightly excited to dart to the front door beside her husband like children.

Alex blows a raspberry. "What other choice do we have?" He turns the car off and sets his hand on the side by the door. "You ready?"

"Three..." Eliza says, her hand ready to open the door.

"Two..."

"One...GO!" Eliza and Alex open their doors as fast as they can and shut it behind them. Eliza shouts from how cold the rain is, but she quickly sprints out of the driveway, Alex right beside her.

"You won't win!" he says with a wide grin.

Eliza's teeth chatter as she runs beside him. "Yes I will!" She looks around for a way to cheat, and suddenly she does the first thing she can think of. She spins her husband towards her and kisses him sweetly for a moment, her arms wrapped around him. His eyes widen in surprise for a moment before he closes them. The pouring rain soaks the two as they stand there in one another's gentle embrace.

Without warning, Eliza lets go and races up to the door, cheering when she makes it there. "Haha! Yes! I win!"

She laughs as Alex comes out of his daze and gives her a mock disappointed look when he realizes he's lost, but he's happy that his wife is happy. Alex quickly dashes up towards her, pulling his keys out and unlocking the door.

Eliza and Alex laugh loudly as they stumble through the door of their house, soaking wet. Eliza's long, brown hair sticks to her chest and against her drenched, white dress shirt.

Eliza turns to look at her husband and bursts out into another fit of laughter at the sight of him panting and wet from the rain, his white polo shirt now soaked and grayish.

Alexander grins at the sight of Eliza cackling. "I look ridiculous, don't I?" he asks.

Eliza takes deep breaths to calm her laughing. "You mean me. I look ridiculous."

"You look beautiful."

Eliza rolls her eyes playfully at that. "Don't be silly. I look awful right now."

Alex hums, taking her hand in one of his and setting his other hand on the doorknob. "Then I suppose we can look awful together."

Eliza can only get out, "What're are you do—" before Alex opens the door and pulls her outside. She shrieks as he shuts the door and spins them both into the rain, her arms tightly wrapped around him to make sure she doesn't fall. "Alex!" she yells in surprise as he dips her, but then she giggles.

He pulls her back up as thunder rumbles in the distance, dancing her around slowly to an imaginary tune. His left hand rests on her waist as his right hand is holding onto her right hand.

"We're gonna get sick," Eliza says with a grin as she looks into his violet eyes.

"So what? I don't mind getting sick with you," he responds, twirling her.

"You will when I start complaining," she points out.

He laughs, pulling her closer to his chest. Eliza moves both of her arms to wrap around his neck, Alex's hands resting at her hips.

Eliza rests her head against his chest as the two now sway side to side gently, the downpour slowing into just a steady rain now. "I'll dance in the rain any day with you," she mumbles into his chest, loud enough for him to hear.

Alex smiles. "I love you."

"I love you more."

"Impossible." He rubs at her back, so grateful to be dancing in the rain right now with this wonderful lady he gets to call his wife.