Paris Proposal

"I can't believe the guys, Eliza's sisters, and I actually came all this way just to see you propose to your girlfriend," Laurens says in a joking manner, earning a shove from his best friend.

Alexander rolls his eyes, brushing off his jacket as he looks intently at himself in the mirror. "You know you didn't have to come. It's not like I forced you to come out here."

John laughs. "True...it was getting a little boring at home, y'know. Just seeing all the same stuff."

Alex rolls his eyes once more. He puts his arms to his sides and just stands there, looking at himself in the mirror. He sees the way his expression seems nervous. He feels the butterflies in his stomach. He sees the ring box slightly sticking out of his jacket pocket, and he tucks it in. Today he is to propose to the most important woman in his life. Surely, she wouldn't say no...right? That's the question Alex keeps asking himself in his mind. Is he good enough? Is he worthy enough?

Blowing a raspberry, Alex takes a deep breath. John realizes how nervous his best friend really is, and he decides to stop joking around with him.

"Just breathe. You'll be fine. She's going to say yes," John assures him.

Alex turns around, facing his best friend, who is sitting on the edge of the bed in the hotel room of this hotel Eliza, Alexander, his buddies, and Eliza's sisters are staying at. "There's a chance she won't though."

"Do you really think she'll say no?" John quirks an eyebrow.

Alex bites his inner cheek. "I don't know."

John tsks, shaking his head and crossing his arms, giving Alex a look. "Well, you should know that we all see the way she looks at you. We all see the way she acts around you, the way she talks to you. It's pretty obvious that she loves you."

"Let's hope that's the truth." Alex looks down at his watch and sighs. "We should get going. She's gonna wonder where we've all been. Are the guys still in your room?"

Laurens nods, standing up straight. "Let's go." The two men walk out of the hotel room, Alex locking the door behind him. John grabs the guys out of the other room, the group making their way back to the plaza to meet up with Eliza and her sisters.

Meanwhile, Angelica and Peggy give each other excited looks as the three sisters sit on a beach in the plaza. Eliza, unbeknownst to the fact that she is going to be proposed to, pays her sisters no mind. Angelica, Peggy, Laurens, Mulligan, and Lafayette are all in on the plan, Alex asking them for some help beforehand.

Eliza sighs. "Those guys take forever, I swear," she complains to her siblings.

"Typical of them," Peggy adds with a laugh. Suddenly, her eyebrows raise. "Well then! It seems that we shall wait no longer."

Eliza perks up at this and follows Peggy's gaze. She's relieved to see the group of guys walking towards the ladies. Standing up, Eliza takes notice of Alexander's fidgeting fingers and anxious look. She furrows her eyebrows at the sight.

When the group approaches the girls, they immediately all begin talking to one another and begin making their way down the street, but Alex is the only one being quiet. Eliza notices this and lets the group get a little ways ahead of them both so she can speak to him in private.

"You okay?" she asks him. "You look...ill."

He replaces his anxious look with a much more calm one. "What? Oh, I'm fine, love. Just stomach pain. Might be because I'm full from dinner," he says with a small smile.

Eliza laughs a little. "I could see why you ate as much as you did. I haven't had that good of food in a long time."

Alex huffs a laugh in response, hooking his arm with hers. "Too bad we can't just stay and live here," he says, giving her a suggestive look.

"Neither of us can speak French," she points out.

"We could learn," he shrugs, grinning.

Eliza laughs at that. "You know how long that would take? Plus I think I like home too. But maybe one day."

Alex chuckles. "Anywhere you wanna be, I'll be with you," he tells her. Eliza blushes at his comment, secretly swooning on the inside. Meanwhile, Alex is satisfied that he's managed to convince her that stomach pain is why he has been so quiet and fidgety.

The beautiful colors of the sunset reflect in Eliza's glassy eyes, and Alex can't help but admire her. She catches him staring at her from her peripheral vision as though she's the most beautiful person he's ever lied eyes on—which, if you ask him, is exactly how he feels about her—and that makes her smile to herself a bit, not facing him. Alex knows for sure that he loves her more than anything in the world, and he breathes out, trying to calm his nerves.

The group of eight head towards a pretty, clear pond they've seen earlier the day before, the spot Alex decided he'll propose to his girlfriend. And anyone would see why, what with the beautiful sunset view right in front of them and the reflection of the gorgeous colors on the water. It's truly a sight, that's for sure.

"Look at the sky," Eliza says, her dark eyes gazing up at the colors. "It's so pretty."

Alex smiles and turns to the side, locking eyes with the group a few feet away from them. The group stops walking and they all face him, nodding at him. Alex takes the chance to slip behind a distracted Eliza, who is too busy looking at the sunset to notice him disappear from her side.

"Now I don't think I wanna go home," she laughs, turning to her side to look at Alex, but then realizes he's not beside her any longer. She turns to the group to see them all staring at her, and she stares back at them, confused. Suddenly, she feels someone tap her on the shoulder from behind, and she spins around to see Alex.

"You know how much I love you, right?" he asks her.

"Yeah?" she responds, still confused.

"I think I should show you just how much I do."

And that's when Alex gets down on one knee, causing Eliza to gasp quietly, and tears instantly spring to Eliza's eyes when she sees him reach into his jacket pocket and open up a ring box. Her hands immediately fly to her mouth, yes, the cliche reaction, but Eliza can't stop herself from doing so. She can already feel tears trickling down her cheeks as Alex opens his mouth to speak, and she chokes out a small sob, a happy sob.

"Eliza, I know for a fact I wouldn't be the same person had I not met you. I'm so happy that you're in my life. I love waking up next to you each morning. I love lazing around the house with you when we're off work. I love every single thing about you, and I want to be by your side for the rest of my life. That is, if you'll let me. So, Eliza...will you marry me?" Alex is already teary-eyed by the time he finishes saying all of this.

"Yes!" she exclaims, moving her hands away from her mouth to fall to her knees and hug him tightly. The group cheers out of happiness from where they're standing a few feet away from the couple. Alex hugs Eliza back before she pulls away, sobbing a little. Alex slides the ring onto her finger, and Eliza gazes at him excitedly, tears cascading down her cheeks, before kissing him lovingly. She loops her arms around the back of his neck, Alex's hands sitting at her hips.

All the while, from afar, Angelica wipes away the tears pooling in her eyes from how cute the proposal was, laughing a little as Peggy leans into her side. "I'm so happy for her," she tells Peggy. "I can't wait for their wedding."

Peggy smirks. "Yeah, well what a shame for you...'cause I'm definitely gonna be her maid of honor!"

"You'll have to go through me first!"

"Deal!"