All My Fault

Eliza can remember that night all too well. It's a memory that's been ingrained in her brain.

It was a Wednesday night in December. Eliza had stayed after work so she could have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off. She was planning to come home and relax with her fiancé while watching classic Christmas films. If only that could have happened though.

Eliza was able to go home two hours early. She was going to surprise Alexander, as he didn't expect her to be home until around 10:00 p.m. that night. Eliza had happily made her way home and entered the apartment, and what she found left her in a whole mix of emotions.

Some woman was lying on the couch, watching t.v., while Alex was in the kitchen making coffee. Eliza's blood was boiling when she saw this, and she shut the door behind her loudly to gain their attention. Alex's face brightened once he saw his fiancée, but paled when he saw the anger in her eyes. He quickly tried to explain, but Eliza didn't want him to explain what was going on. It wasn't long after that Eliza was screaming at the two to get out of the apartment. The woman, which Eliza soon found out was named Maria, sat up and furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Alex, on the other hand, tried to talk to his wife.

"Eliza, let me explain," he pleaded as he followed her into the bedroom, where she was grabbing his belongings and throwing them into a bag.

"Get out of my apartment," she growled. "I don't wanna see you again."

"Eliza, please—"

She glared at him. "You have no right to stay here when you're cheating on me!"

"I'm not cheating on you!" he yelled, trying to get her to listen.

Eliza let out a hurt laugh. "You really think I'm gonna believe that? Get out."

She picked the bag of his belongings up and tossed it out into the hallway, and then she grabbed hold of her fiancé and shoved him out the door, with Maria following him, still confused. She quickly pushed the door shut and locked it. The first thing Eliza could even think about doing was cry. She was a sobbing mess as she stumbled back into her bedroom, collapsing on the floor in a fit of tears. The second thing she did was pull her phone out of her pea coat pocket and call Angelica.

Angelica, being the good sister she is, had immediately come over to comfort her sister. She knew she'd have to have a little "talk" with Alexander once she left her sister's apartment.

And now here Eliza is, a year and a half later, sitting at a table. She's at her high school reunion, something she's debated coming to. Yet, this is no normal high school reunion, as it's at a bar. She's hoping Alexander isn't here, but she knows deep down that he'll probably be here. She and Alex were high school sweethearts, and she knows it's not going to be easy seeing him.

Eliza sighs, wondering why she's even come here. She decides she's leaving, that she doesn't want to see Alexander. There's a million other things she could be doing other than coming here.

Eliza stands from her seat, grabbing her purse, and makes her way towards the exit, when suddenly she hears a lot of shouting. Familiar shouting. She turns her head and sees Alex and a few of his old buddies entering the bar, and she rolls her eyes, continuing on her way outside.

Eliza bids a few of her old friends goodbye as she heads out before pushing open the exit door and stepping out into the sun. She releases a breath, one she has not known she's been holding in.

Eliza hears a door open behind her, but she's too caught up in her thoughts to care. Her hand is resting over her eyes, with her just thinking.

"Good to see I'm not the only one who needed out of there."