Pregnant

The sound of Eliza full on bawling into Angelica's shoulder and Angelica's constant, soothing shushing are the only sounds that ring out in Peggy's apartment bathroom. Peggy hugs her sister from behind, resting her head on the back of her shoulder, as Eliza releases loud cries and sobs into Angelica's chest.

"He's gonna hate me," Eliza cries. "He'll leave me!"

Angelica shakes her head, gently raking her fingers through her sister's hair. "He won't hate you, Eliza..." she says with a soft, soothing voice. Having been in the situation where she had an unplanned pregnancy, Angelica completely understands how Eliza's feeling right now.

"But he'll definitely leave me!"

Peggy exchanges a sympathetic look with Angelica as they hear Eliza let out loud sobs. Angelica shushes her sister a few more times to try to get her to calm down, but she knows it'll be very hard. It was hard for her to calm down when she found out she was with child.

"Eliza," Peggy coos. "He loves you. He'd never do that to you."

"What's stopping him?" Eliza sobs.

Peggy lets go of Eliza and sits beside Angelica instead, which gives Angelica the opportunity to wrap her arms around Eliza.

"Eliza, he's your fiancé. You're getting married to him. He loves you and he wouldn't leave you for getting pregnant," Angelica tells her sister.

Eliza shakes her head, somewhat believing her and somewhat not believing her. Lately, she's been feeling pretty sick, and, not knowing where else to go about this, she's asked for her sister's opinions on what she should do. Angelica and Peggy both insisted the three of them meet up as soon as possible to get a pregnancy test for Eliza just to see if their suspicions were right. And here she is, inside of Peggy's apartment bathroom, crying her eyes out.

Now, it's not that she doesn't want a baby, but she's not sure if she's ready for one. And she's terrified that her fiancé, Alexander, will leave her. They've spoken about children briefly for in the future, but how will he react when he finds out she's already pregnant? He could leave, as "nothing is stopping him," according to Eliza. Eliza knows deep down she should trust him, but having a baby is a huge commitment and a big step in their relationship. The question is if he's willing to take on this commitment with her or not.

"Eliza," Angelica says, rubbing her back. "You have to tell him. He needs to know."

"I know," Eliza croaks, sniffling.

Peggy rakes a hand through her sister's long, dark hair. "We're gonna figure this out, okay? We're here for you. You're gonna be okay."

Eliza breathes out, feeling a bit hopeless at the moment. "Okay," she responds with a shaky voice, trying to convince them that she has hope, but also trying to convince herself that she does.

***

Here Eliza is, seven hours later, at her house and waiting for the arrival of Alexander. She's on the verge of tears, still absolutely terrified about how her fiancé will respond to the news. She has some confidence from her sisters, who have confided in her and calmed her down a bit, but she still can't seem to shake all the nerves away. Who knows how Alex will respond to this. He might be mad. He might be scared. He might be happy. No one knows for sure right now.

Eliza holds a little wrapped up box as she is seated on the couch. Inside is where one of her positive pregnancy tests are, along with a small onesie. Eliza and her sisters bought three tests just to be sure if she's pregnant or not, and they've all come back positive, so Eliza is just using the first test to make this more special. As she's sitting there, she becomes curious of what could be if her husband is happy about this. The child they'll raise together, the places they'll go, the games they'll play, the memories that will be made. It's such a beautiful thought.