Better Night

"You've got it baaaaddd," John comments, smirking.

Alex sighs, shaking his head as the two walk side by side. "I know. I don't even know how it got to this point."

Alex and John are currently making their way to their next class, and they're both talking about Alexander's crush. Over the past year, Alex has been spending a lot more time with his other best friend, Eliza, who is also the girl he has the biggest crush on. Of course, he's been keeping this a secret for a long time now, but John had asked him out of the blue one day if he liked her.

"What?" Alex says, surprised at the sudden question.

"Do you like Eliza?" John repeats his question, squinting his eyes at his best friend. He's seen the way Alex has looked at her, and now he's curious to see his response to this question.

Alexander is silent for a moment, a red tint spreading on his face. "I-I," he starts to stutter. "No. No, I don't."

John smirks after watching his best friend's reaction closely. "Alex, don't give me that. Tell me the truth. It's so obvious, y'know."

And of course, Alex being Alex, he couldn't keep a secret any longer after that. Ever since then, John has constantly teased him for his crush. At the same time, however, he's been pushing for him to just tell her how he feels. He knows Alex has liked her for about a year now, and keeping feelings like that hidden for such a long time isn't an easy thing to do, especially since his feelings have only been growing. Plus, John's sure that Eliza's feelings are mutual. How comfortable she is around Alex, the way she's noticeably happier when he's near — he'll be surprised if she doesn't like him back.

John nudges Alex in the shoulder. "It's not that hard to just tell her! And if she doesn't like you back — which I highly doubt — then that's her loss!"

Alex sighs. "It's not that easy, John. I don't wanna lose what she and I have if she doesn't like me back. Things'll get so...awkward. I don't want it to be like that."

John shakes his head with a chuckle, him and Alex stepping inside of their next class. "Whatever, man. But I would tell her."

Alex opens his mouth to say something, but his eyes fall on Eliza, who's waiting for him at their desk, a happy look on her face once she sees him. The two share a desk together in their history class, which is great for Alex since he can sit beside his crush and spend more time with her. John, however, only sees this as an opportunity for Alex to tell Eliza he likes her, being that she's right there.

Splitting ways, John gives Alex a suggestive look before walking to his own desk and immediately falling into conversation with some of his other friends. Alex quickly removes the conflictive look off his face and instead plasters a smile on as he makes his way to his desk.

"Hi, Lex!" Eliza beams, using her best friend's nickname she'd given to him a while back.

Alex drops his book bag on the floor before making eye contact with her, taking notice of just how pretty she looks today. "Hey, Liz," he greets her, taking a seat beside her. "I'm so glad it's Friday, I don't think I can do much more of school right now."

"Tell me about it," she says, resting her chin into her palm. "Thank god the day's almost over. Bad thing is that we only get two days of a break from all this. It's exhausting."

"I agree with you." Alex forces himself to look away from her, not wanting to stare and accidentally slip up about his crush.

"Hey," she says after a few moments of silence. "I was thinking, do you wanna come over later to hangout? I've got nothing going on later, and I wanna show you how much I've got done on my island on Animal Crossing! I was on for like six hours yesterday after I got home from school." She says that last part with a small laugh, recalling playing on her switch for so long.