Fireworks

Alexander smiles as he watches his wife and two kids, Angelica and Philip, all dance around as they work in the kitchen, preparing lunch this afternoon. Music plays loudly on the Alexa, drowning out the sounds of the news reporter speaking on the mounted t.v. above the fireplace.

"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof!" Philip sings cheerfully with the music.

Angelica giggles when Eliza bumps her hip into her daughter playfully, the two joining in with Philip's singing, "Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth!"

Alex smirks, standing up from the loveseat and striding over to the kitchen just as Eliza decides to do a solo riff. "Clap along if you know what happiness is to you!" She twirls around, her hair falling off of her shoulders as she does so.

Angelica and Philip clap loudly, cheering for their mother as she laughs. They then both squeal as Alex approaches them from behind and tickles them, the children helplessly flailing their arms around to get him to stop. Eliza watches, amused, as she turns the music down on the device.

"Stop!" Philip and Angelica yell through their fits of laughter. Alex finally quits tickling the two mercilessly. He strides over to his wife and smirks at her.

"What a singer you are," he says, pulling a strawberry out of the fruit bowl she's just put together.

Eliza blushes. "It was nothing, really..."

Alex raises his eyebrows as he washes the strawberry off with water. "Nothing? You sounded like a star."

Eliza tucks a stray hair behind her ear, lifting up the fruit bowl and carrying it over to the bar, where her children sit up on the stools. "Well, I suppose doing theater in high school wasn't pointless after all then."

Alexander shakes his head. "Whatever. Someday you'll learn that you sound amazing through."

Eliza only rolls her eyes, moving back over to the kitchen and bringing back small sandwiches to her children, with two extra sandwiches for herself and Alex. Eliza watches her two children converse in a bubbly conversation about some t.v. show. She feels her husband snake an arm around her waist as he reaches over and takes his sandwich with his free hand.

"They're just so..." Eliza trails off, trying to think of the right word.

"Adorable?" Alex answers for her. "Cute? Silly? 'Cause I know what you mean."

Eliza smiles, biting into her own sandwich. "Yeah...those words." Suddenly, she stands up straight, startling Alexander a little from how quick she's moved. "Wait!"

Philip and Angelica stop chatting and face their mother because of her sudden yell.

"I almost forgot!" She turns to her husband, causing his arm to slip from being wrapped around her waist. He rests his arm against his side. "My father told me about this fireworks show going on tonight for a fundraiser. Do you guys wanna go?"

The two little ones squeal. "Daddy, please let us go!" Philip begs, giving Alex a desperate look. Angelica copies her brother's look, the two children facing their father.

Alex chuckles nervously from their gaze, then he looks at his wife. "I mean, I don't see why not..." he says, and his kids cheer happily.

Eliza grins at her children's excitement. "It starts at 9:00. I don't know how many people will be there, but we should probably get there a little before that anyway. My sisters are going."

"Hear that?" Alex asks his kids. "Your aunts will be there."

"Yay!" Philip cheers, a wide grin on his face.