Birthday Mom

"What is all this?" Eliza asks, sitting up as she rubs her eyes. She's been waken up by little giggles and quiet shushing, along with the distant sound of Alexander's voice. Her blurry eyes from sleep only allow her to see the figure of her husband as he steps up to her.

"The kids want you," he tells her in a quiet voice as her vision suddenly sharpens. She looks behind Alexander to see her two little ones, Philip and Angelica, grinning up at her.

"Come on, momma!" Philip says. "We have a surprise for you!"

She quirks an eyebrow, smiling a bit, as Alex smirks at the same time. He gives her his arm to help her get out of bed, being as she only woke up maybe two minutes ago. Gladly using Alexander's arm for stability, Eliza turns and stands onto her two feet on the cold, wooden floor. She then lets out a shout of surprise as her two children grab one of her arms and almost drag her out of the bedroom, through the foyer, and over to the kitchen.

She stops right in her tracks, her children's grasps slipping, causing Philip and Angelica to almost trip because they've been dragging her. Alex wraps his arm around her waist as he walks up beside her, pulling her into him a little bit.

Eliza feels tears pooling in her eyes as she looks at the small set up. Her favorite cake is set on the kitchen counter, the number 34 planted on top of the cake. Beside it are two handmade cards and one card wrapped in an envelope.

"We made you stuff for your birthday, momma," Philip tells his mom.

She smiles, wiping at an eye to keep the tears away. Alex leads her over towards the cake, grabbing a lighter from the drawer. He instructs Angelica to turn off the lights as he steps back over to the cake, using the lighter to light the candles. The lights turn off as Angelica scurries over to her family. Eliza stands in front of the cake, her husband standing to her right and her children to her left.

Her face visibly lights up as her family sings to her, tears still swelling in her eyes. Even the little things, like this, mean so much to her. She can't think of anything better than spending her birthday with her family that she holds so close and are dear to her heart.

Once the singing stops, Eliza thinks of her wish for a moment before blowing out the candles. Her children and husband cheer for her as she moves back, leaning into her husband's side once more.

"You guys really didn't have to do all this," Eliza tells her family. Even though it's just cake and two envelopes, Eliza still feels a bit guilty that they're taking time out of their day to celebrate this day with her.

"Uh, yes we did. It's your birthday!" Alex tells her, tickling her side a bit to make her laugh. "Plus, the kids really wanted to. And so did I."

She sighs happily, her head on his chest. "Well, thank you guys. I really love it."

"You do?" Angelica asks excitedly, her sweet, little voice emerging from below. "Yay!"

Eliza smiles a bit to herself as she watches her two kids jump up and down from hearing that they've made their mother happy.

"Maybe once they calm down, we can have some time alone," Alex whispers in her ear. Eliza snorts at this, her face turning red.

"Figured you'd say that," she says teasingly. "But first, I want cake."

"Your wish is my command." Alex steps back from her and steps into the kitchen, pulling out a knife and using it when he comes back and cuts the cake, the two little ones watching impatiently. He cuts the first piece for Eliza since she's the birthday girl, then three other pieces, one for Philip, one for Angelica, and one for himself. The family of four sit down at the table, Philip and Angelica having an animated conversation about random kid things as they sit beside one another. The two adults sit next to each other, legs touching. Eliza sets the cards on her lap for her to read once she's done eating.

"Have I ever told you that you're the best husband ever?" Eliza asks Alexander, sticking her fork into her slice of cake.

He laughs, grinning. "Many times. It's greatly appreciated."

"It's because I mean it." She leans over and kisses his cheek, and when she pulls back, she bursts into a fit of laughter.

He gives her a confused, but also amused, look as she cackles. "What?"

"I got cake on your face," she manages to say through her laughter.

He shakes his head, smiling at her goofiness. His arm snakes around her waist as he pulls her closer towards him, pleased to spend today with the birthday mom. His Eliza...

A/N: Happy birthday Elizabeth Hamilton! Figured I'd write something short, but cute, for her birthday today :)