Undercover Couple

Requested by Hinnypercabeth12!

"Thomas Jefferson?" Alexander huffs from where he stands in the dark room beside his partner, Eliza, and in front of his boss, Mr. George Washington. "Again?"

"Yes," George replies firmly. "He's the one hosting this event. And since I trust you both, you are both being assigned to this case tomorrow night. You will go to this gala together and keep in touch with us to tell us his location. Then, we strike."

Eliza shrugs her shoulders, seeing no problem with getting this done. "Doesn't sound too hard to me."

Alex and Eliza turn to leave the room, but George grasps onto their shoulders to stop them both. "Hang on. There's one more thing."

Eliza quirks an eyebrow.

"You and Alex are going undercover."

Alex blows a raspberry. "We know. We've done this before—"

"As a married couple."

Eliza's eyes go wide while Alex coughs awkwardly.

"We're going undercover as what?!" Eliza exclaims in disbelief. This job would have been loads easier if she didn't have a crush on her partner, who just so happens to be her best friend as well, but alas, here they are.

"You heard me," George says with a nod. "Now, head out and get ready for our meeting later. We'll discuss this further there."

Eliza and Alex quickly scamper out of the room, George shutting the door to his little office behind them. The two stand there in silence, Eliza still processing George's words and Alex not quite knowing what to say. Eliza runs her hand through her hair after a moment and faces her partner.

"Guess you and I are gonna be married for a night," she tells him, fiddling with the buttons of her black top nervously, breaking the little silence between the two. "I guess that means we should head in together tomorrow to make it seem more believable."

Alex nods. "I'll pick you up. Sorry George chose us for the assignment. You don't seem to be very comfortable about all this."

Eliza shakes her head rapidly. "No! I mean, I'm honestly fine with it...I've just never done this before. I don't even know how I should be acting."

Alex smirks. "Then good thing George paired you with me. It'll be easy. Though I will admit I've never had to do this either for an assignment."

Eliza laughs, which makes Alex grin.

"Just teach me some of your skills tonight after the meeting. I'm gonna look like an idiot if I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow night," she says.

"No kidding," he responds in a joking manner, earning a playful shove and another laugh from his best friend.

***

The night after, Eliza runs her fingers through her straightened, chocolate brown hair. She makes a face into the mirror, checking to make sure she looks nice for this gala event, as she doesn't want to be overdressed or underdressed. Plus, she's aiming to impress Alex perhaps a little bit tonight.

Setting both hands onto the bathroom counter, Eliza takes a deep breath. She's feeling very nervous, and she can feel butterflies in her stomach from her nerves.

Suddenly, she hears a set of knocks on the door of her apartment, causing her to jump a little from being used to the silence. Eliza quickly checks her lipstick once more before slipping out of her bathroom and out into the hall, stepping towards to the door and taking another deep breath before she opens the door.