Sunny Day

The mix of the small breeze and hot air brushes against Alexander's tanned skin as he steps outside of his house, the bright sun gleaming down onto him. The blue sky highlights his white polo shirt and knee-length shorts as he steps into the backyard, eyeing Philip's toys that are sprawled out in the grass. He keeps one arm behind his back, making sure his little surprise for his wife isn't ruined, as he hasn't seen her yet, being that he just got in the door not too long ago.

Alex breathes in the smell of the fresh flowers around him, when, without warning, he feels two tiny arms cling onto his legs, and he lets out a sound of surprise. He looks down to see his seven year old son, Philip, gazing up at his father excitedly.

"Pa!" Philip exclaims with a grin, clinging onto him even tighter. "You're home!"

Alexander lets out an amused chuckle and kneels down to Philip's height. "Hey, buddy." He ruffles Philip's hair and smiles softly when his son laughs in response.

"I missed you all day!" Philip says. "Mommy and I baked, colored pictures, and she even put up one of my pictures on the fridge!"

"I'm proud of you, kiddo." Alexander gently squeezes his son's shoulders. "Speaking of which, where is your momma? I've got a surprise for her." He pulls his arm out from behind his back to reveal a pretty bouquet of flowers.

Philip's face lights up, feeling giddy. "She's in the garden. She's been working hard today!"

"I bet," Alex says, grinning at the thought of his wife overworking just to perfect their little garden. She's been pushing him for months to help her create a garden out back, as she's grown up with one when she lived with her parents and siblings. Alex finally relented a month ago, and ever since then, she's been working nonstop. "Can you take me to her?"

Philip lets out an excited squeal and nods quickly, hurriedly grabbing onto his father's arm and practically dragging him through the backyard and over towards the garden. Alexander laughs at this as his son tugs him along. The two sneak over to the grass hedges and apple trees, finally spotting Philip's mother in the garden, surrounded by gorgeous flowers and dirt.

Birds chirp loudly in the sky as Philip and his father quietly approach Eliza, who is hunched over admiring some of her flowers and humming a little tune. Her little sun hat has a blue bow wrapped around it, matching her blue dress, which blows from the small breeze. Philip looks up to his father for approval to get her attention, and Alexander nods.

"Momma!" Philip says, grinning from ear to ear, as he turns back to look at his mother. "Daddy's home!"

Eliza raises her eyebrows and smiles, and she turns swiftly to see her husband and son standing six feet away from her. "Oh, is he now?" she asks teasingly, giving her husband a playful smile. Alex walks over to his wife and gives her a sweet kiss on the lips, and Philip giggles at the sight of his parents being affectionate with one another.

"Hello, my dearest," he says, his fingers playing with a small lock of her thick, brown hair. "I've missed you."

"You miss me everyday," she laughs. "But so do I."

She looks down at his right arm hiding behind his back before glancing back up at him, giving him a questioning look. "What's that?" she asks.

Alexander looks down at his arm before meeting her eyes again. "I got you a little something." He moves his hand out from behind his back and presents the flowers to his wife, his heart fluttering when he sees her chocolate brown eyes light up a little at the sight.

"Oh, Alex," she cooes, before laughing a bit, gratefully taking the flowers. "We have a perfectly fine garden here, yet you buy me flowers?"

Alexander laughs, knowing she would say just that. "I know we have our own garden, and it's lovely, but I saw these and just had to buy them for you. Plus, I didn't want you to have to dig up any of your beautiful works out here, and I think these would do nicely inside on the dining table."

Eliza wraps her arms around her husband's neck, and he kisses her on the forehead. "Well, thank you, babe. I love them. And I love you."

Philip reaches up and taps his mother on her arm, and she looks down at him. "What about me?" he says shyly, feeling a little left out. Eliza grins as she crouches down and picks up her son into her arms, struggling a little due to how big he's getting, but she manages.

"Oh, of course I love you," she grins before smothering him with kisses all over his face, causing Philip to let out loud giggles. She sets him down after a moment and turns back to her husband, who has been secretly admiring his dear wife. "I have dirt all over me, so how about you two go inside and watch t.v. for a few minutes as I clean myself up. I say we get ice cream tonight. I don't want to waste this nice sunny day."

"Yay!" Philip cheers before darting ahead inside. The two adults laugh as they watch Philip go. Alexander turns back to his wife, content now that he's alone with her.

"How was your day, my love?" he asks, resting his hands on her hips. She drapes her arms over his shoulders, and they sway slowly from side to side.

"I got a little lonely," she admits, a tiny smile forming on her lips. "But Philip helped with that a little. We did some fun things together, but all I've longed for is to see you and be in your arms."

Alexander gives her a cheeky smile. "I honestly could not stop thinking about you today. My boss was starting to get annoyed with me because I kept on zoning out and thinking about you during our meetings."

Alexander's smile grows when Eliza spurts out a laugh, a pink blush tinting her cheeks. "Is that so?" She lifts her right arm off of his shoulder and runs her hand through her husband's silky orange hair, gazing lovingly into his eyes. "I'm flattered."

Alexander chuckles quietly, then kisses her once more. When he pulls away, he rests his forehead against hers and says, "Has anyone told you that you look absolutely beautiful today?"

Eliza giggles. "Must I remind you that my hair's kind of a mess right now and I have dirt all over me?"

"Nah," Alexander says. "I don't pay attention to that stuff."

Eliza giggles once more, then removes herself from her husband's arms, causing her husband to groan in protest. "We should get going. I need to change and I don't think the t.v. is going to keep our son occupied for too, too long."

Alexander shakes his head before linking his arm with hers, and Eliza smirks at this as the two walk back towards the house to prepare for a love-filled evening with family.

A/N: My first one-shot :)