My Artist

When you've got a broken foot, upcoming tests, and piles of homework, you have a right to be stressed out and miserable.

Eliza's sitting in her seat during her fourth period class, occasionally tapping her left foot on the ground, her hand fidgeting with her pencil on her desk. Her chin is resting in her palm, staring at the clock as she anticipates class ending. All period, it seems as though her teacher has just been babbling on about things Eliza hasn't even bothered to listen to at this point, and she's just waiting to get to her next class, knowing it'll be an easy period.

When the bell rings, students immediately stand up to leave the class, filing out of the room. Eliza takes a moment to leave, as she's had her boot off her foot because it'd gotten sweaty in there earlier. With her boot strapped on and her belongings in her book bag, which is hanging off her back, Eliza steps out of the room and heads to her fifth period class—study hall.

Eliza makes it into the room after going through several hallways and walking up several stairs, being that the high school building is so big. The room is mainly filled, so she's left looking for any open seat she can find. One of the only chairs open is a seat beside a fellow classmate, Alexander Hamilton, which makes Eliza a little embarrassed. At this point, Eliza can say that he's one of her best friends, even though she isn't really able to see him as much as she'd like to outside of school due to issues with her parents and boys. She has a big crush on him, even though her sister has told her repeatedly not to hang around someone like him, but obviously that didn't happen. Besides, where's the fun in that?

Eliza takes the seat beside him, dropping her book bag on the floor behind her, and Alex instantly looks over at her to see who is sitting beside him. He smiles when he sees her, much happier now than he was before. "Hey, Liz," he greets the girl with one of her nicknames.

"Hey," she says, reaching down to take her boot off again. It's pretty uncomfortable to have on when she's not walking around. She fully takes the boot off and pushes it off to the side of her desk, relieved that she's getting the slightest bit of fresh air for her foot, the most she can really get with a cast wrapped around her foot.

Alexander, who has yet to learn of what's happened, widens his eyes at the sight of her injury. "What happened?" he asks her, setting his pen down that he's been using to scribble with.

"Broke my foot at theatre rehearsal on Wednesday. It was not a pleasant sight," she tells him, cringing a little at remembering the way her foot looked.

Alex grimaces. "Doesn't sound pleasant either. Does it hurt?"

"A lot," she replies, looking down at her cast.

Alex follows her eyes, looking at her foot. He notices she has no signatures or anything on it. "You're not gonna decorate it?"

Eliza lets out a laugh. "I'm too miserable to put anything on there."

Alexander is quiet for a moment, thinking. "Mind if I add something to it? I feel bad enough already that you have to wear that."

Eliza blushes. "Sure. Just nothing inappropriate, please."

"Don't tempt me," he says with a smirk. He pats his thigh for her to put her foot on, which she does, trying her hardest not to be embarrassed if anyone stares at the two, but she's sure they're all too busy chatting away, from what she can hear.

Alex reaches into his book bag and pulls out a bunch of sharpies, still in the pack he bought them in, meaning he's yet to use them. He's never really found the right time to use them, but now seems like the perfect time. He opens up the pack and pulls every marker out, setting them on his desk. He looks at Eliza's cast color, light blue, and then looks back at his marker colors. He grabs the black sharpie first, removing the cap.