Chapter 37

I'm shaken awake by Draco. "Come on, it's time." He whispers. We go back to his dorm so we can change into our formal death eater clothes. Once we're done, we walk through the castle into the Room of Requirement. We stand outside of the vanishing cabinet; black smoke slowly makes its way out of the tall object, wind blowing through mine and Draco's hair. He squeezes my hand and drags me with him. My wand at my side I'm ready for anything.

We stand at the entrance to the Astronomy Tower. "Do you want me to go with you?" I ask.

"No, but make sure no one follows me." He says. I pull him into a hug and whisper 'good luck' and he disappears up the stairs. I guard the door, but not for long. The Aurors from the Ministry come barging through, I send spell after spell, but nothing works, so I head up the steps just as the other death eaters stark attacking. I try to stay quiet as I watch Draco raise his wand up to Dumbledore. I stay hidden in the shadows.

"Good evening Draco. What bring you here on this fine spring evening?" Dumbledore speaks.

"Who else is here, I heard you talking?" Draco quickly retorts, ignoring what Dumbledore is saying.

"I often talk aloud to myself, I find it extraordinarily useful. Have you been whispering to yourself Draco?" He pauses as Draco walks towards Dumbledore. "Draco, you are no assassin."

"How do you know what I am, I've done things that would shock you." He replies.

"Oh, like cursing Katie Bell in hopes that she would bear a cursed necklace to me, or replacing a bottle of mead in one with poison. Forgive me Draco, but these actions are so weak, you're heart really can't have been in them."

"He trusts me, I was chosen." Draco says lifting up his left sleeve, showing the dark mark off to Dumbledore.

"I shall make it easy for you." Dumbledore pulls out his wand.

"Expelliarmus." Draco reacts, Dumbledore's wand flying to the ground.

"Very good, very good." Dumbledore says. Draco is now shaking. A sound comes from a distance.

"You're not alone. There are others. How?" Dumbledore asks.

"The Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement. I've been mending it." Draco sneers.

"It has a sister?" Dumbledore asks more than comments.

"Borgin and Burke's, they form a passage." Draco says.

"Ingenious. Draco, years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices. Please let me help you." Dumbledore says.

"I don't need your help, don't you understand? I have to do this, I have to kill you, or he's gonna kill me." He whispers, shaking and lowering his wand. I hear Bellatrix and the others come up, so I join them.

"Well, look what we have here." Bellatrix walks to Draco. "Well done Draco." She whispers to him, kissing his back softly.

"Good evening Bellatrix. I think introductions are in order, don't you think?" Dumbledore says.

"I'd love to Albus, but I'm afraid we're on a bit of a tight schedule." She replies. She turns back to Draco. "Do it." She hisses.

"He doesn't have the stomach, just like his father. Let's just finish him my way." Fenrir Greyback says.

"No, the Dark Lord is clear the boy is to do it." Bellatrix shouts. "This is your moment, do it." She hisses again. He continues to point his wand at Dumbledore. "Go on Draco, NOW!" she screams.

"No." Snape comes into view. Draco comes to stand by me. I take his shaking hand in mine.

"Severus." Dumbledore pauses. "Please."

"Avada Kedavra." Snape says, green light shooting out of his wand and hitting Dumbledore straight in the chest. I bury my face in Draco's shoulder.

Bellatrix points her wand up to the sky and a gray light shoots from it, only enlarging the dark mark in the sky. Draco and I run down the stairs, still hand in hand. We walk through the Great Hall, because Bellatrix being Bellatrix needs to have her fun. She shatters the windows of the Great Hall and a big gust of wind comes hurtling through.

We walk down, closer to Hagrid's hut through the tall skinny trees drifting through the fog.

"Snape!" we hear from the distance. "He trusted you!" it was Harry. Oh god, I didn't want him to find out like this. Bellatrix then set fire to Hagrid's hut. Draco and I jumped back from the heat.

"Go on!" Snape told us. Draco and I walked fast to the gates of Hogwarts. Once we were out of the grounds, we apparated to Malfoy Manor.

Draco and I landed on our feet in a thud. I was breathing heavily. We were greeted by Narcissa and surprisingly, Lucius Malfoy.

"Father?" Draco seemed confused; I mean I wouldn't blame him.

"Hello son, Anyxus." He nodded in my direction. It was kind of an awkward moment. Any other father would hug their son. I just stared at him. He was my godfather after all.

"Children, I think it's best if you both head straight to bed. In a couple of weeks we have that big meeting with the Dark Lord." Narcissa said.

"Right." Draco paused. "Nyx? You coming?"

"Yeah." I said walking out of the room. We walked up to Draco's room (we decided to crash there) and our trunks and clothes were already at the house, so we quickly changed into our pj's and went to bed without a word. It was all too shocking to discuss, and I know Draco was really stressed out about it, so I didn't press further into it. I am just really relieved that Draco was not the one to kill Dumbledore, although, he may take a beating, if the Dark Lord has any say in the matter, which of course, he will.