Chapter One: An Introduction

"You can see, Detective, I've already won. If my younger self could see me now... a higher up in the criminal underground, more powerful than he could ever imagine— Are you yawning?"
Cora looked up at her captor.
"Sorry, were you saying something?" The cuffs chaining her to the table clinked softly as she adjusted her arms.
"You really are the worst captive. What, are you bored? Have you even been listening?" The corner of Cora's mouth twitched upwards.
"You were telling a story. I have a story. I was touched by an angel. When was the last time you looked behind you?" Her captor turned around on instinct. He realized his mistake a moment too late, spinning around just as Cora's fist was coming at his face—her uncuffed fist.
"Wh-How did you get out-?" Cora waved her lock pick in front of his face before knocking him unconscious.
"Tch. Amateur." She grabbed her trench coat from the corner of the room, plucking her cellphone out of the pocket and dialing a number in her contacts. He picked up immediately.
"Cora! Man, am I glad to hear you're okay. Quit dropping off the grid on me!" Cora smiled slightly at her friend's voice.
"Leo. Nice to hear from you, too. Can you track this call? I got our man, but I'm not entirely sure where I am..."
"Cora, you amaze me."