Chapter Two: A Party

"Cora. Boss wants to talk to you," Leo said as the she passed him in the station. She groaned inwardly, making her way to the Chief's office at the end of the hall, Leo following curiously.
Cora knocked, and a gruff voice invited her in. The Prismunitus Police Department's Chief of Police was an angry looking man that Cora occasionally wondered was capable of emotion at all. His hair had streaks of grey in it that showed his age.
"Cora, come in." Chief Easton would never admit it, but he had a soft spot for the detective. He'd never had a daughter of his own, but he felt like she could be his own, despite their rare interactions.
"Yes, Sir?" Cora asked formally.
"I need you in the City Hall ballroom by six. Wear something nice." After a half second of consideration, he added, "Just don't wear anything with bloodstains."
Cora looked down at her shirt and noticed the specks of red on her collar.
"Right."

A few hours later, Cora stood in the ballroom, glaring at the party.
"A party, you shouldn't have," she commented dryly. Leo lifted his hands as if to say "not my idea". Cora turned to Chief Easton.
"If you told me it was a party, I wouldn't have come. You know I hate parties."
"That's why I didn't tell you. Besides, our station needs the good PR, and you're the new kid."
"I've been here for a month already. I'm not that new," Cora grumbled under her breath as she walked away. Easton didn't respond to her comment.