Chapter Seven: Black Market

Cora fidgeted with the collar of her black button up. Easton shot her a look. She took a deep breath before opening the door.
The warehouse was large, scattered with boxes of various sizes. Cora slipped behind a large wooden crate, signaling to Leo. They had to blend in. Easton has been tipped off about a black market deal Sloan was doing here. The criminals met regularly in this warehouse, but the PPD had never been able to catch them. This meeting could be their chance.
A few people glanced Cora's way, but paid her little attention. The meeting seemed to be happening in the center of the room. The boxes obscuring the room made Cora nervous.
"Take the exits of the room. I'm going closer to see what I can," she said quietly to Leo. He nodded, disappearing behind a shipping container. Cora had barely taken a step forward when she ran into someone. She looked up and sighed.
"Hello again, Eve." She looked surprised to see Cora.
"What are you doing here?"
"Apparently interrupting your deal. My intel was wrong." Cora began to turn around, but Eve grabbed her arm.
"Cora, wait. You shouldn't be here."
"Believe me, I'm on my way out. I heard that it was Sloan making a deal here."
"No, listen to me. Rumor says Sloan is making a deal here. I'm here because I heard something else might be happening. I think this is a trap. You need to get out of here." Cora narrowed her eyes.
"Why should I believe you?"
"You saved me. I'm in debt to you. Please, pack up your men and leave." Cora considered a moment before shaking her head.
"Get out of here. I'm taking my chances." Cora walked towards the center of the warehouse, leaving Eve behind. She nearly made it to the center, too. Nearly.