Chapter Thirteen: Routine

After three weeks, it had become routine for Eve to watch over Cora when she was in her apartment. Most days Cora would invite her in. In the beginning, Eve had declined, but after a while, she began joining Cora as she worked late at night. Cora liked being able to talk through issues with the case with someone. She hated to admit it, but she'd warmed up to the charming Eve Karpos.
"If this is how it goes, I'm in a lot of debt to you for this," Cora said after scribbling something down in her case notes. Eve smiled into her coffee. Seeing her smile made something inside Cora warmer.
"Consider this coffee payment," she responded.
"I guess I'll have to keep making coffee. Keep you around a while." Eve chuckled, flipping a page in the book she was reading. Cora found her gaze getting caught on her, on the way the skin around the scar over her right eye looked, on the way the light of the desk lamp reflected in her dark eyes that seemed to contain multitudes of voids and be filled with everything at the same time. Cora felt like she was seeing a part of the mafia boss no one had ever seen before. It made her heart race slightly. Cora found herself thinking about Eve more often, even when she wasn't around. She'd get distracted. Cora fought the urge to brush a strand of Eve's black hair behind her ear. She'd noticed that her heart began to race whenever Eve touched her, even just the brush of their knuckles as they walked next to one another.
Cora turned back to her case files, but she found it hard to concentrate.