Chapter Nine: An Address

"Cora, are you sure about this?" Leo asked, sounding concerned. Cora nodded. It had been a few days since she'd been found on the stairs of the police station after a failed mission, hurt but alive.
"Thank the angels," Leo had said. "How many times do I have to ask you to stop disappearing?" Cora had been too tired to respond.
Cora looked at the slip of paper Eve had given her. She didn't recognize the address, but her GPS told her it was an apartment building near city center. Cora could take a taxi to city center and walk the rest of the way. She decided it was best to be discreet about meeting with the leader of one of the mafias.
It was already getting dark when Cora arrived at city center. The streets were more empty than usual as everyone hurried home. There was the sound of a commotion nearby. Cora walked towards the sound, curious.
"Cora?" She turned around. Eve. Of course. More interesting, however, was the figure behind her. On instinct, Cora pushed Eve behind her just as the demon leapt at her. Its claws stopped an inch away from Cora's face. It hissed, drawing its claw back and disappearing.  Cora turned to Eve.
"We just keep running into each other."
"How did you do that?"
"It's a long story."