Chapter Three: Eve Karpos

Cora sipped from the champagne flute, brushing a brown curl out of her face.
"Okay, anyone important I need to know?" Leo raised an eyebrow.
"What's with the sudden interest?"
"I mean, I am a detective. It's sort of my job to know things." She scanned the room.
"Okay, well over there is the mayor. We could say hi, but it looks like she's busy. On the other side of the room, with the black dress and the tattoos? That's Eve Karpos. Dangerous lady. She runs the Karpos Mafia. You probably won't have to interact with her much, given that you're trying to take down the Sloan Mafia."
Cora examined the woman. Her long dark hair was straight, falling down to her back. Her black eyes matched. Her left arm had tattoos covering it. She looked up, making eye contact with Cora. Eve smiled, walking towards her. Cora turned to Leo, but he had disappeared into the crowd. She cursed inwardly, taking another sip of champagne.
"Detective Adina," Eve Karpos said.
"Have we met?" Cora asked coldly. Eve laughed. It was a sweet sound. Cora couldn't lie to herself, Eve was beautiful.
"I don't think so. It's my job to know things, though. I'm Eve." She offered her hand. Cora ignored it.
"I'm aware. Can I help you?" Eve's smile didn't waver.
"Actually, you already are. I know you're after James Sloan. I think we could help each other out." Cora narrowed her eyes, but didn't comment.
"You're doing me a good service, taking out my enemy. Many have tried before, but I think you're different. I can put you under my protection and offer any help I can." Cora scoffed.
"Seriously, how dumb do you think I am? You're the exact type of person I'm trying to stop. I don't want to be associated with you, Karpos." Eve frowned.
"Well, if you ever change your mind—"
"Eve," Cora growled slightly. The mafia leader raised her hands in surrender, turning around. Her smile returned.