Chapter Fifteen: Dropping Hints

Cora stepped out into the night air. Eve was out tonight, but she'd said she'd return soon.
This time, Cora didn't hear footsteps. It wasn't until there were four attackers in front of her that she realized what was happening and cursed herself.
"Your girlfriend here tonight?" one of them asked in a rough voice.
"Let me guess, Sloan sent you," Cora said, reaching for her holster only to remember she'd left it inside. Shit.
The attackers drew knives. Cora knew she couldn't win this fight. Her best chance was to fight like hell and hopefully leave behind enough hints for Eve to pick up her trail. Or her body.
Cora dodged a slash from one of the knives only for another to strike her on the side of her neck. She put a hand to where she'd felt the knife make contact. It came away bloody. She dodged a stab, but felt it tear her side and shirt. She was not doing well. She prided herself on being able to take a punch, but four against one felt like unfair odds. Eve was nowhere in sight.
Cora felt a sharp blow to the back of her head, and her vision went dark. She collapsed onto the ground. She faded in and out of consciousness for a while. She felt herself being dragged along the ground, then movement, as if she were in a vehicle. She fought for consciousness, but lost. She slipped away once more.