Chapter Eight: Paying Debts

Eve stood by the edge of the room for a moment, debating whether to leave or go after the stubborn detective.
"You warned her, that's enough, right?" Crew said through Eve's earpiece. She sighed.
"My debts aren't repaid yet. She's still in danger." Eve ducked behind a shipping container just a moment before the bomb went off. She heard yells, but couldn't see well through the smoke. She crept towards the center. Armed men were scouring the room. Eve was quiet, squinting through the smoke. Her hand went to the holster on her hip, but she didn't draw her weapon. She scanned the room, creeping towards a shape on the ground by a nearby crate. She dropped to a crouch next to the shape, confirming her suspicions. She turned the detective onto her back, checking her pulse. She was alive, at least.
"Eve, you're going to want to get your girl and get out fast," Crew said. Eve pulled the detective up, wrapping an arm around her waist to hold her as she drew her gun. One of the armed men saw her, but she fired first. She fired a few more shots into the smoke before hurrying back to the exit.
"Eve?" Cora mumbled. Eve opened the door, returning to free air. Crew was waiting in the van. Eve climbed in quickly, laying Cora on the floor in the back. Crew didn't speak, just began to drive.
Cora was mostly unconscious. Eve assessed her injuries. Thankfully, they were minor. Cora remained unconscious for most of the drive. Her emerald eyes fluttered open after a few minutes, making contact with Eve.
"Don't look at me like that. I just don't like being in debt," Eve said. The van came to a stop in front of the police station. Eve helped Cora to her feet, guiding her to the front door. Her gaze softened as she saw the detective sit on the stairs.
"For the record," Eve said gently. "The offer is still open if you need it."