Chapter Four: Saving Ophelia

The sky was gray, foretelling a storm. The streets were mostly empty. Cora needed a taxi, but there were none in sight. She heard shouts a street over. Curious, she ducked through an alley between buildings. The adjacent street faced the sea.
Cora ran as soon as she saw the fight. She couldn't make out who the culprits were. Someone was knocked off the dock into the deep water. Cora pulled her trench coat off, dropping it behind her before jumping into the water.
The seawater was murk. Cora had never been a particularly strong swimmer, but the current was mercifully lighter than usual. She saw the floating figure a few feet away from her, and met it with a powerful kick. She recognized the face, but didn't have time to think about it. She wrapped an arm around the figure—Eve—'s waist and kicked her way back to the surface. After surfacing, Eve's eyes fluttered open for a moment, focusing on Cora's face. Cora climbed onto the dock, still carrying Eve in her arms. The attackers hadn't left, and Cora saw them reaching for weapons. She gently dropped Eve's legs, grabbing her gun and firing a few warning shots at the attackers. They fled quickly. Cora dropped her gun, lowering Eve to the ground carefully. Eve was breathing, and her eyes opened slowly. She coughed a few times before speaking.
"Why did you save me?" Cora grabbed her phone, dialing the emergency number.
"Because, unfortunately for both of us, I have morals."
Eve was shaking slightly, so Cora wrapped her dry coat around her shoulders after hanging up with the EMTs.
"Who were those guys?" she asked Eve. She shrugged.
"You make a lot of enemies in my line of work." Cora laughed slightly.
"Tell me about it."