Chapter Twenty-Two: Grey Morning

The apartment was cool, but the weight of the blankets over her was comforting to Cora. She saw the grey sky as it rained. The sheets smelled like Eve. She was in Eve's apartment. Cora wondered how she'd gotten there. She put a hand to her abdomen, and felt bandages. Ah. She was alive.
Cora stood up slowly, carefully. She kept a hand on the wall to steady her as she made her way out to the kitchen. Eve was sitting at the table in front of a steaming cup of coffee. She looked up as Cora entered, and a relieved smile touched her face. She quickly took Cora's arm to help her to the table. She grabbed another mug for coffee, setting it in front of the detective.
"Angels, I'm so glad you're okay," she said, returning to her seat next to Cora.
"Okay is pretty relative, but yeah," Cora responded. She cupped her hands around the warm mug.
"Cora, I'm so sorry-"
"For what?" Eve actually had tears in her eyes.
"I should have been there to protect you when you were taken, and I should have come sooner, and I shouldn't have fallen into Sloan's trap, and you almost died and it was my fault." Cora put a hand over Eve's arm.
"Eve, that wasn't your fault. It's Sloan's fault I almost died. It's because of you that it's just 'almost'."
"Cora, I took his bait hook line and sinker. If I hadn't-"
"He put the bait out there. He's the one playing mind games. It's not your fault."
"I was so worried. I don't know what I would've done if I lost you forever."
"Hey, you can always find another detective-"
"It's not that. I could never replace you. It isn't just about what you can do for me anymore. You're... I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. I want, no, need you to be okay. You're important to me even if you can do nothing for me."
"Eve... What are you saying?"
"I'm saying I want... you. For yourself. Nothing more." Cora paused.
"Does this mean..."
"Yes."
"Can I kiss you?"
"I've wanted to for a while now." Their lips met. Cora hadn't thought much about what kissing Eve would be like, but it was more than she could expect. Eve was a...shockingly good kisser. Her lips were soft and warm. Cora wanted the moment to last forever. Eve pulled back enough to whisper against Cora's lips.
"I was so worried you were going to leave me forever."
"Don't worry, Eve. I'll never leave you."