Chapter Twenty-Seven: Restoration

Cora made contact with the crystal. She felt her light connect to its. She focused on the warmth in her heart, her divine Light. The spark was small, but was there. She traced it away from her heart towards the Obex. The Light drained from her easily, pushing the Darkness out of the crystal. She felt emptied. Her Light was gone. Now, it was just her, the crystal, and the Dark. She sank to the ground. She felt weak. The Darkness was suffocating her. She turned her eyes upwards in quiet prayer.
"I've done what had to be done." She recognized the feeling of the Dark. She'd felt it when she died.
"If you can hear me... I don't know why I'm talking. I guess I just don't want to feel so lonely in my last moments. Please... I'm sorry, Eve." Cora fell to the ground. The Darkness wrapped itself around her. It's loneliness was like an old friend. Cora felt its cold hand take her. She let it happen. There was nowhere else for her to go. She'd reached a dead end. Her own end. Her own death. She'd experienced it before, but it felt different this time. Maybe it's because she was older. Maybe it's because she'd resigned herself to death the moment she stepped foot in the catacombs.