Chapter Six: Files

Cora flicked through the files in front of her. Sloan had been brought to court multiple times, but never been convicted. He had half of the city in his pocket. He controlled most of the police station already. Leo and Chief Easton were free, but Cora hadn't been able to find many others. She fidgeted with her necklace. The crystal pendant was cool to the touch. It had been a gift from Leo when she first arrived in Prismunitus. It was touristy, sure, and just a joke, but Cora continued wearing it. It was cute. The pendant was shaped like the Obex, the crystal in the catacombs of the city that powered the barrier. Cora had grown up in a rural town, so Dark forces were rarely a problem. A big city like Prismunitus, however, was more at risk. The city had been built atop a deposit of Darkness, and the Obex was what kept it at bay. Infused with the pure divine energy of an angel, it allowed Prismunitus to thrive safely.
"Find anything?" Leo's voice startled Cora out of her thoughts. She turned around. In the dim light, she could see her friend smiling. She shook her head.
"There's countless of eyewitnesses, but they all go missing before trial. Sloan plays dirty. It's going to be hard to catch him."
"Once he finds out you're after him, you're going to be in a lot of danger. Do you have a plan for that?" Cora thought back to Eve's offer. She shrugged.
"I'll figure something out."