Chapter 6

Anastasia hadn't been able to stop thinking about what Tom Riddle had said to her. Did he really believe she could be great? She didn't sleep most of the night thinking about it. The next day in potions Anastasia walked in to see her usual desk at the back had been taken. She stood in confusion for a moment, wondering why Avery had taken her place. She looked up to see where else she could sit when she met those same dark brown eyes. Tom motioned for her to sit next to him. As she warily walked over she felt girls' eyes narrow on her. Tom didn't say anything as she took her seat, but he noticed her smile slightly at the jealousy swirling in the air. Half way through the class Anastasia couldn't sit in silence any longer.

"What do you want from me?" She whispered staring down at her notebook, not daring to look at him.

"I believe we could be of great help to each other Miss Delaney." Anastasia furrowed her brows. How could she be any help to him?

"And how is that?" Tom appeared to ignore her question and continued to write in his notebook. She sat confused for the rest of the lesson. When she stood up to leave Tom stood next to her, waiting for her to pack up.

"Follow me." He stated bluntly before turning and walking out the classroom. Anastasia had to jog slightly to keep up with his long legs. He turned into a small classroom by the Slytherin dorms, shutting the door behind them.

"You need someone to help you fulfil your potential Miss Delaney, someone who will make you one of the most powerful witches in the world and prove your worth. I need someone loyal, who doesn't just stay by my side through fear but through belief and respect. I need someone who will give their honest, intelligent opinion and be a worthy supporter." He held his hands neatly behind his back, looking at her stoically. Anastasia digested his words, but something seemed wrong. It seemed false.

"You need someone who has nothing to lose, don't you?" Tom raised his eyebrows for a moment and let out a breathy laugh.

"On the contrary Miss Delaney, I need someone who has everything to lose. My other followers come from wealth and pure-blood families, their ambition for success is simply to fulfill their fathers' wishes but they have a very soft place to fall if they fail. You and I on the other hand, our success is all we have. We cannot fail." Anastasia nodded in understanding. She walked towards him slightly.

"So that's what you mean by loyal? A supporter that cannot abandon ship?" She stopped in front of him, analysing his facial expressions.

"Miss Delaney, I am offering you an opportunity to be a part of something bigger than your wildest dreams. You say you're taking your time to prove yourself, but have you ever considered that maybe you are simply not able to do it on your own? Maybe that is why you don't fight back when girls call you jailbait? If you join me you will not have to wait and hope that one day, possibly, if you're lucky, a man will promote you to a high enough position that you might make a name for yourself." Anastasia's mind was in overload. How did he know all her wants and all her fears. It's as if he had known her all her life. It didn't even occur to her that his offer was everything she disbelieved in: her life and worth being forever tied to a man.

"What will you have me do?" Anastasia whispered. Tom looked down at her, a self-assured grin growing on his face.

"You're smart Miss Delaney, you will help me ascend into the most powerful wizard of all time." Anastasia felt a twinge in her stomach, and she told herself in that moment the sick feeling that washed over her was a sign, but she wasn't sure what the sign meant.

"No one will ever laugh at you again, Anastasia." Tom whispered. Her heart skipped when he said her name. She didn't want to think anymore. She didn't want to be alone anymore.

"I'm in."