Chapter 24

After the Christmas dinner ended Anastasia had promptly bid goodnight to Mrs Avery and the boys. She got into her nightdress and sat on her bed, running her hand over her thigh where Elius' hand had been. She had never really been touched like that before. She felt a rush of shame and embarrassment that she had sat there and allowed him to place his hands on her, but at the same time felt overwhelmed by the excitement of it. Suddenly she heard a light knock at her door. She walked to the door assuming it was Mrs Avery asking for her jewellery back, but as she opened it she was met by the dark eyes of Tom Riddle. She stared with wide eyes, taking in his tall presence and cold expression. Without saying a word she took a step back from the doorway, letting him enter, before closing the door behind him. She turned to look at him to find him analysing her clothing. She suddenly became aware of her arms and legs being so exposed and grabbed a dressing gown from her suitcase.

"Mr Riddle I wasn't expecting-"

"I don't want you conversing with Elius anymore." Tom's tone was sharp and menacing.

"Excuse me?" Anastasia bit back. Tom raised his eyes quickly to hers.

"Do I need to repeat myself?" Tom walked towards her, making her stumble back until she hit the doors of the wardrobe. He was still in his tux only adding more to his clear domination of her. She felt a slight twinge of fear as his expression become more clear and angry.

"I... I don't think you should be in here-" Anastasia stuttered.

"I thought more of you Anastasia." Her body froze at the sound of her name on his lips. He loomed over her. Before he could continue she realised she had to act fast. She reminded herself that she was a Slytherin, that she was more cunning than Tom had realised.

"Mrs Avery thinks Elius and I make a handsome couple." She whispered. "You said my job here was to get information from her so I'm doing what you asked, I'm making her like me." Tom looked down at her, still with a judgemental look in his eye. Anastasia felt smaller than she ever had before. "I believe I know where the locket is." Suddenly Tom's eyes widened, and his frigid frame relaxed slightly.

"Is that so?" Anastasia nodded, like a child speaking to a teacher.

"I think Mrs Avery used to have the locket, but she sold it to a woman called Hepzibah Smith, a collector." Tom looked down, thinking for a moment.

"Maybe you're not completely useless then Miss Delaney." Tom smirked. "What a relief, killing you here would have made life complicated." He whispered. Anastasia's breath hitched as the darkness of his eyes consumed her. She felt a sudden urge of anger. She had done what he had asked, she felt she had proven herself trustworthy, but just because she had spent time with someone else he was going to kill her? Tom noticed the heat in her face and quickly moved forward to press his body against hers. He placed his finger on top of her lips to stop her from talking.

"You've done well. Don't ruin it." Anastasia looked like a deer caught in headlights. The handle of the wardrobe dug into her lower back, pushing her pelvis even more into Tom, making his smile wince slightly. Just as quickly as his touch came it left as he turned on his heel and marched out the room.

The next few days went by in a bit of blur. Anastasia spent most of her time with Rosier and followed Tom's warning by avoiding all contact with Elius. She continued talking to Mrs Avery, telling herself it was to find out more about the locket, but in actuality she was enjoying the presence of a motherly figure. Anastasia would never admit it to herself, but Mrs Avery's acceptance and kindness towards her made her feel like a child again in a way she thought she had lost forever. She found the woman vain and slightly obnoxious considering her wealth and beauty, but Anastasia felt cared for when she was with her. She helped Mrs Avery set up and plan for the New Years ball, and in those times found herself forgetting about Tom and the reason she was there, she forgot about the orphan girl she had been. It allowed her to live out her childhood princess fantasies she had repressed for such a long time. As all the girls ran around in a panic on the eve of the party, Anastasia was invited into Mrs Avery's room.

"I have a surprise for you darling." The woman had whispered, grabbing her hand and taking her upstairs. Mrs Avery took a hanger out of one of her closets and played it out on the bed with a beaming smile.

"Well go on! Open it!" Anastasia slowly stepped forward and began unzipping the linen cover to pull out a black gown delicately embroidered with flowers. Anastasia gasped as she ran her fingers over the material. She analysed the detail in the flowers, finding small green snakes winding through the blossoms.

"Mrs Avery I can't-" Anastasia whispered.

"Don't be ridiculous Anastasia! This doesn't suit me anymore, it's too... too mystical." Mrs Avery winked, fully pulling out the floor length gown from the cover. "The first time I saw you my mind went immediately to this dress. It was gifted to me by my mother when I was your age, just before she died." Mrs Avery looked over the dress. "She was the only person who ever really knew me. A dress like this cannot sit wasting away, darling, and it was made for you now as much as it was for me then. Someone who defies convention in the most courageous and individual way." Mrs Avery took the dress to the bathroom and indicated for Anastasia to get changed. At this point Mrs Avery had made it clear that she knew Anastasia wasn't a pure-blood, and she even began to believe that Mrs Avery knew about her family's untoward history, only making this gesture more meaningful. However, it made Anastasia wonder if she had judged the woman too quickly.

"Don't worry I've had it hemmed for you." Mrs Avery laughed as she closed the bathroom door, making Anastasia giggle, remembering their obvious height difference.

As Anastasia slipped the gown over her head she stared at herself in the mirror, unable to hind her beaming grin. Mrs Avery knocked and came back into the bathroom.

"I knew it." She clasped the small buttons that trailed down Anastasia's spine. "You look gorgeous, darling."

"Thank you." Anastasia whispered, turning to face the woman. She wrapped her arms around her suddenly, taking Mrs Avery aback at first but she quickly responded lovingly. "Thank you so much." When the pair separated Anastasia saw a tear fall from the woman's eye. Anastasia sat down to let Mrs Avery do her hair.

"Elius won't be able to keep his eyes off you in this." Mrs Avery grinned, making Anastasia go red. "Or is it a certain Mr Rosier who-"

"No no, Rosier and I are just friends." Anastasia quickly responded. Mrs Avery nodded and began talking more and more about how Elius was the most eligible bachelor of the time. Once the pair were finished getting ready, and Anastasia prepared herself to leave Mrs Avery grabbed her hands.

"Anastasia, I know you have a mind of your own." She looked down for a moment before returning her eyes to the girl. "But Elius is a good man, he may be a bit roguish, but he's spoken to me about you. Anastasia, he is the type of man that will give you a good life but won't clip your wings. The thing that attracts him to you the most is your vivacious nature." There was a fear behind her stare, a sense of desperation. "Men like Tom Riddle will take everything from you." Anastasia's eyes widened at the mention of his name. "I know it seems invigorating now, but over time he will dismantle you piece by piece until..." Anastasia squeezed the woman's hands, finally realising why she had taken such good care of her. Anastasia reminded her of herself when she was young. She had heard stories about Mr Avery and his temper, Rosier had joked that she was lucky she had never had to come to the manor while he was alive. Mrs Avery nodded as the two gripped each other tighter and tighter. The woman took a deep inhale and placed a kiss on Anastasia's cheek.

"Well," She exhaled, putting on her perfect fake smile "we can't keep the guests waiting, can we?"