Chapter 13

Tom spent most of Sluhorn's party next to her, when he wanted to move he'd slide his hand across her lower back and lead her where he wanted to go. At first Anastasia realised he avoided the professor, and instead made small conversation with other students or just Anastasia. Finally, he lead her over towards Slughorn.

"Ahh Tom!" Slughorn immediately ended his previous conversation and turned all his attention to the couple. "And Miss Delaney, you look absolutely magnificent! What a handsome couple you two make." Tom smiled and Anastasia battered her eyelids, trying to make herself blush. She found acting demure challenging, but knew she had to be perfect for Tom.

"Thank you Professor, what a splendid party you've thrown." She smiled, talking in her most lady-like voice.

"Oh thank you my dear, just something special for my favourite students." Anastasia stood there as Tom and Slughorn began conversing about potions and studies. She decided it best for her to keep her mouth shut, as much as it pained her, especially as potions was one of her favourite subjects. She found it amusing and terrifying watching Tom talk to the professor. He was able to change his character with such ease. After some time she felt Tom's hand on her back again with a slight squeeze.

"We won't keep you away from your other guests Professor, thank you again for inviting us to join."

"Well of course Tom, I'm glad you both came-" Before Slughorn could finish his sentence the two had turned their backs and were walking away.

"That was a little rude wasn't it?" Anastasia whispered towards Tom. He tightened his grip on her waist, making her catch her breath slightly.

"I know what I'm doing Miss Delaney." He hissed back at her through a fake smile. He led her to the side of the room and once their backs were facing the wall she grabbed his hand and forcibly removed it from the small of her back. She felt Tom twitch. As much as she was there to gain his trust, she wouldn't be spoken down to.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" Tom asked politely, surveying the room.

"I didn't think we were here to enjoy ourselves Mr Riddle." She quipped back, with a sly smile on her face.

"Well I thought you would enjoy how much everyone is looking at you in that dress." Tom looked peered down at her. "I suspect every man in this room wishes you were their date tonight." His eyes landed on the diamond hanging above her cleavage. Anastasia knew he wasn't trying to flatter her. He was warning her. The only reason she was invited was because of him. The only reason she looked the way she did was because of him. The only reason people cared about her was because of him. She shot him a sickly smile before returning her eyes to the room.

"Well don't worry, we'll be leaving soon." Tom whispered. "It's important to be punctual, but you always want to be one of the first to leave a party such as this."

"Why?" She asked. Tom let out a condescending light laugh.

"You should grace people with your presence Miss Delaney. They should feel lucky that we came at all." Anastasia smiled. It was the first time in the whole night he spoke to her honestly. He was teaching her, which meant she had done well.

They walked together back to the common room in silence, both clearly in deep thought. Tom was content with Anastasia's performance. She clearly had the desired effect on the professor.

"Well done tonight Miss Delaney. You've speeded up my plans with Slughorn." Tom turned to her before returning to their dorms.

"When will I be informed of what these plans entail?" Anastasia inquired, trying not to show how pleased she was with his comments.

"In time Miss Delaney. Trust is earned." With one last look at her chest he smiled and turned leaving her to watch him walk away.