Chapter 39

Anastasia and Harry slipped away after dinner. She walked out to see Harry wearing a large, tattered coat. As she closed the door behind her Harry outstretched his arm to reveal another old coat and with a sweet smile began to place it over Anastasia. She breathed in the crisp, clean air and felt the cold tingle her lungs. They walked under the moonlight until they came across a box of quidditch equipment and Harry sat down. He shuffled over to allow room for Anastasia, who sat down gently, their legs squeezing together tight on the small surface. Anastasia felt Harry's confidence wavering, so she started rubbing her hands together pretending they were cold allowing Harry to take them into his and warm them up. Harry blew gently onto their intertwined fingers, his breath warming their skin making Anastasia's giggle.

"I love it here." Anastasia whispered, laying her head on his shoulder.

"Didn't get overwhelmed with all the stories?" Harry laughed.

"Not at all! How is it for you hearing stories about your parents?"

"I love it. I never had the chance to be with them, but through Sirius and Remus I get to know them." Anastasia lifted her head to look at him, admiring his side profile in the dim light. His features looked softer now she was closer. Harry rubbed his thumbs over hers, and as she looked at him she tried desperately to forget her past and all the questions she had about her future.

"You can talk about him you know, if you want to." Harry turned to look at her, watching her mind at work. Anastasia furrowed her brows and looked down, for the first time feeling ashamed of who Tom was and what their relationship had been.

"I don't think I can yet." Anastasia looked up at him, realising with each moment how much she wanted to be honest with him while deep down knowing she never could. Harry was a good person, something she had never been, if he knew the things she'd done he'd never want to see her again. "But I want you to know that being here, around you and everyone makes me want to be... better." She exhaled, returning a smile to her face.

"Anastasia you're great as you are, no matter what mysterious secrets you hold." Harry nudged her laughing. "I want you to trust me. I feel like we're supposed to be on each others' side. This break Hermione, Ron and I are going to be working on figuring some things out, and I want you to help. Only if you want to of course." Anastasia grinned, amazed that Harry was ready to let her in already.

"Of course I'll help Harry." She returned her head to his shoulder. "What are you 'figuring out' exactly?"

"Slughorn knows something about Voldemort and Dumbledore needs me to find out what it is." Anastasia nodded, wondering how Slughorn always managed to be involved somehow.

"I'll do whatever I can to help." She smiled back to him. Harry stiffened slightly.

"I'll keep helping you too Ana, if you gave me more information then-"

"Let's just focus on you right now." She interrupted, suddenly remembering what she had asked Draco to do. If Voldemort had anything to do with her situation he may try to find her. Anastasia so desperately wanted to find out what had happened to her, but she had turned to the person who had ruined Harry's life.

As they stood up to walk back to the house Anastasia took a moment to turn her head up at the moon, looking at the same light that had washed over her the first time Tom had touched her. She closed her eyes, letting the light baptise her skin. She reached out for Harry's hand, with a sense of urgency understanding that at any moment her cover may be blown and Harry would desert her. Harry turned to her, and for a second they looked at each other with a glint of fear in their eyes. Anastasia lifted her hands and placed them on his cheeks, lifting her lips up to his. Without a moment's hesitation Harry wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer into him. As their lips connected, and she felt his hands on her body she was overcome with emotion. Harry wrapping himself around her made her feel safe, and it made her feel a new type of powerful. Powerful in the fact that purely based on herself a boy like Harry could want her. She ran her fingers through his hair, and felt Harry pinch her skin as he grabbed her lower back. Their mouths separated, but their bodies remained intertwined. Anastasia rested her forehead on his chin, both breathing heavily as he laid small kisses in her hair. After a few moments the pair burst out laughing, leaning into their embrace.